Ulcerative Colitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

reading some of the posts on the forum lead me to believe I am suffering from a flare up bleeding stomach cramps constipation and diarrhea i am currently suffering from, have been on antibiotics and steroids and about to have the camera looking about my intestine.....have had a couple of accidentally motions...any more advice please...?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with a severe case of UC about 10 years. The colonoscopy revealed my entire colon was affected - which explains the bleeding, cramps, spasms, etc. Fortunately, the medication Balsalizide helped lessen the symptoms. Over several years of keeping a journal of my diet/condition, I have learned how to manage my condition. I changed my eating habits along with my diet in January 2017 and I discovered that my condition improved so much that I discontinued my medication as of April 2017. I have been medication free for the past two years and I have very minimal flare ups (maybe 1 day every few months) ... just occasional indigestion with associated gurgling which is always triggered by me disregarding my new diet.

I strongly believe my condition is triggered by diet - type of foods as well as the AMOUNT of food. I switched to eating 5 small meals/snacks a day; high protein; low carb; low sugar; and as organic as I can afford. As much as I love Mexican food, this Texan learned that fresh Jalepenos/Serranos/ Green RAW vegetables and dairy products are not my friend!

For those nights where I lived in the bathroom all night; breaking out in cold sweats suffering through a flare up; I realized that I typically overate which made me feel like my colon was backed-up/blocked. I literally fainted one night as a result of these spells so I decided that enough was enough. As much as I love food - I have learned to enjoy my triggers in moderation.

• Posted

Thank you for your information sounds like hell?I'm currently blown up and running a sweat and stomach cramps are taking over again, doctor has prescribed steroids low dosage.

12 months ago i was going through it with kidney stones 5 admissions in a year 8 stones ranging from pea size to thumb size had 12 months free now this horrible blight.

know a little more on what to expect many thanks again....best get plenty of loo roll in lol

• Posted

For the stomach cramps, I found a few things that seemed to help alleviate the discomfort.

1. Lay on left side of your body with pillow between your legs
      2. Lay face down on floor (must be solid surface not a bed) and place a heating pad under your belly.After a few minutes, colon should relax and the pressure should subside- may cause you to belch but it helps.
      3. Remove anything constricting around your waistband - tight pants; belt; etc...
      4. Avoid carbonated drinks; dairy products; fried foods; spicy stuff and raw green vegetables.

I hope you find this helpful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.