Ulcerative colitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have a form ofUlcerative colits known as severe Ulcerative proctitis since my late twenties, I am now 54.

I used to have a sygmoidoscopy procedure regularly up until 2010 due to the fact that both of my uncles on my Mother's side died of Bowel cancer, one of them died at the age I am now.

I was informed in 2010 that due to recent evidence that people with Ulcerarive proctitis do not need Colonoscopies/Sygmoidoscopies as there is no evidence of a higher risks of getting Bowel cancer in this group. I tried to remind the hospital consultant of my uncles but was dismissed by him saying I am lucky that I don't need to have a Sygmoidoscopy any more.

I haven't been back since but I am very concerned as I always had a few polyps when I used to have Sygmoidoscopys which were removed.

At the moment I am on Mezephant tablets prescribed by my GP. I was on Azaprithn years ago as steroids didn't help.

I have had flare ups a lot and have been losing blood quite a lot.

Am I right to be concerned or am I just being over anxious?

I would be grateful for any information that will help me decide whether to contact my GP with my concerns.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

You are right to be concerned if you constantly lose blood, however it depends on how much you lose blood and where the blood is coming from. In any case see your GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.