Ulcerative colitis and poss crohns. Want to drink 2-3 guinnesses tonight, advise please

Posted , 6 users are following.

Recently diagnosed with colitis, with small ulcers, with poss. Crohn's (biopsy results to follow)

Want to have 2-3 alcoholic drinks tonight at a mate's gig.

Would Guinness be a fairly "safe" option?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela, when diagnosed with colitis all I could safely drink was champagne. Everything else made me worse but it wasn't cheap!;-) I would suggest that you stick to the non fizzy stuff if possible, definitely no lager! You on need to moderate what you eat and drink with colitis but you have had it for a while before diagnosis. If guineas didn't cause you too many problems with wind before I think you will be fine. You can't stop living because you have uc. Really enjoy the gig, have a great time. Take care and be reasonably sensible, but not too much smile.
  • Posted

I know your probably well on by now but just drink what you think

I've been out before and had a peroni and my stomach was so bad all night

Last night I was drinking strawberry daqueris and wine I was fine.

No alcohol is probably the best option but it's my only vice.. I mean I can't even eat broccoli anymore so I'm not giving up wine too!!

Have a great night you deserve it xx

• Posted

On the subject of drink & colitis & steroids... I find that drink actually took the edge off the steroids when I was on a high dose, but I did notice that beer would cause a lot of gas right away & haing to use the loo when I was NOT on steroids. As a musician, hazards of the profession & as the other poster has said, within reason, you can't let stop living yer life / having fun as a result of this - hope you had a great time! :D
  • Posted

Alcohol is one of the worst things for UC. When things are going well maybe a small amount to de stress is ok but avoid when not 100% healthy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.