Ulcerative Colitis... Infliximab - stomach pain?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my first infusion last Thursday for Infliximab (Remicade) and felt great until Monday when I experienced a dull constant stomach pain around my belly button. Has anyone experienced this? I'm also taking steroids (Prednisone/Prednisolone) and the doctors never prescribed me Omeprazole (which is like a stomach protector). Could this be the reason? I know steroids can affect your stomach and along with the pain, I have horrible heartburn, acid reflux and even vomited last night. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. I finally got my prescription for Omeprazole and just took my first tablet today so hopefully this helps.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Good.

Steroids increase the acidity of the stomach acid. Therefore whilst taking them - you do need to be on a PPI. If you run out prescription, you can always buy PPIs in pharmacies - you don't need a prescription.

Good luck with Remicade. smile

• Posted

How often are you having infusions? Are they going to move you onto subcut?
    • Posted

Thank you for your message. I was given IV steroids then oral steroids while in hospital but they never gave me omeprazole when I switched to oral and never gave me any to take away. Luckily I had them on repeat prescription, but I didn't realise you could get them over the counter! 

I'm hoping omeprazole helps because it's the worst feeling- almost like a hangover! Don't want to move/drink or eat in case it affects my stomach.

I just had my first infusion last week, I've to get my next one next week, then 4 weeks after, then it's every 2 months. Have you tried Remicade? What's subcut?

• Posted

Sorry that's my misunderstanding.

Remicade can only be given by infusion. Humira can be given subcut (subcutaneous).

Its very strong - so you should notice a massive improvement in the UC.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.