Ulcerative colitis or something else

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

I need some help to understand which investigative tests I should take to understand if I'm suffering from UC and how to make sure it's not Chron or Diverticulitis or IBS. 

Thanks so much

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Starting point should be a full stools test. Then an endoscopy for UC and to check for crohns a camera capsule because that's evidenced in you small intestine as well as your larger. If it's just large it's UC. Visible signs are ulcers. With UC you can have other signs like pink eye and joint pain.

I'd also get an X ray/ ultrasound to show no blockage or thinking of walls.

You can have both like me so when I'm in remission from UC I still have IBS to deal with.

I'd rule out that's it's not a bacterial infection first and diet plays a big part for some also.

Good luck.

• Posted

In reply to your question: have you got any bleeding? I would go see your doc they might have a quick look and send you to hospital for an emergency colonoscopy/endoscopy. If it's just blood then it seems there isn'tmuch food matter in your gut, like my initial case of UC, ulcers on the colon and rectum, and gushing blood was I when went to loo.

These are all of a similar type of diseases, that tend to affect diffent parts of the digestive system. IBScan be urges to use the loo, and not feeling like you're done afterwards. Pain, bloating, mucus, feeling tired and feeling sick, tiredness, backache, indigestio, tiredness, nausea (feeling sick), problems with your bladder, urgency to pee.

With something like crohn's could be unexplained weight loss, diarrhoea, fatigue, abodominal pain, blood in stool and mucus. Diverticulitis or pockets how I think, try this

https://patient.info/health/diverticula-including-diverticulosis-diverticular-disease-and-diverticulitis

I've changed the water I drink to great effect, make sure you don't suffer any longer get it checked, you might have to drink water like there's no tomorrow before the colonoscopy, but don't suffer in silence get it checked, because you can't let it go on.  These days in not an excuse to suffer in silence.  

I seemed to feel a whole better after drinking all that liquid.

Then you'll know, that's most of the worry for some, please get it checked ASAP. If you have UC like me I lost weight. One condition can affect all the system from mouth to anus, and look them up. 

It's better to know then you can prperly deal/cope ith it, it's the not knowing that is worse. Hopefully you'll see a good gastroenterologist nearby, most bigger hospitals have them if not all. It's not as rare as you've seen, most seem to have an d Good Luck.upset system at one time. 

Let us know, please. An

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the link with a link to our article on this subject.

• Posted

Hey Stewart. I just had the phone call saying I have Colitis, is it a serious/scary disease? Is there any home remedy I can do for it, I have the cramps and diarrhea no blood though. I'm worried, should I be worried like I am or can this go away and I be fine? Please any answers would help ease my anxiety on this Colitis thing. Cindy
  • Posted

Usually you will have a stool sample first to check the bleeding (if any) is not caused by bacteria. Then you may have blood tests, and you will eventually most likely have to have a sigmoidoscopy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.