Ulcerative Colitis- Please Help!

Posted , 23 users are following.

Im 23 years old and was diagnosed with proctitis in Sept 06. I visited my GP when I was 17 and explained about my symptoms but was told it was IBS. Gradually things got worse and in 2005 I was eventually referred for a colonoscopy where I was diagnosed with Proctitis. My GP was rubbish and prescribed me Asacol and I kept on visiting him insisting that I was not getting better and the bleeding and toilet urgency was getting worse but he did nothing. In June 07 I paid nearly £2000 to BUPA for private investigations as I was angry with not getting better. Days after my private investigations I became terribly ill and was hospitalised for 5 weeks and underwent more investigations in which I was then told it had spread and I now had UC. As a result I was off work for 3 months and was on steroids, suppositories, aziathroprine, basalazide and iron tablets. The bleeding and toilet urgency stopped and I felt like I was getting better. Then in Nov the bleeding started again. I visited my consultant who arranged for an emergency sigmoidoscopy and as a result of the investigations I was admitted to hospital for 4 days. I was discharged on steroids and the above medicines and over christmas the bleeding stopped. However it started again in the new year and I have just recently been told that I have to be hospitalised again but I have to wait for a bed to become available.

I feel so down and dont have a clue what to do, I have a mortgage and a career and feel like Im going to lose it all. I find myself bursting into tears at the thought of having this illness forever. I have recently started going for acupuncture as I am willing to try anything to get my liFe back. I feel myself asking all medical professionals is there anything I can do and they just say try not too let it get you down. Does anyone know if it is directly linked to diet? or does anyone do or know of anything that helps?

I feel so stupid writing moaning when there are probably so many other people worse off than me but I just dont feel like anyone really understands.

Nat

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi, my husband has had all these problems,he has UC and takes asacol . we have found the trigger to my husbands and it also triggers my sisters IBS.. ONIONS !..hubby can go weeks without a problem ,then he gets craving for a burger,or quiche ,even a cheese and onion sandwich. then the flare up starts.he gets pushing pains,and stomache cramps, then the bleeding starts.it can last weeks before he gets it under control. he knows he shouldnt eat it but gets a craving for onion even knowing it will make him very ill.i have to make our own microwave meals,and do most things from scratch as nearly all ready meals etc contain onion puree etc.hope this helps you, really is woryh cutting onions out of your diet for a few weeks to see if it helps, hopefully it will do the trick...hospital was telling him it must be dairy like cheese etc,but dont think they realise when people have cheese they usually have onion with it...he also dosnt have any curries etc ,all the base mixes for the sauce contain vast amounts of onion....good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.