Ulcerative proctitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all I am new on here I saw a bowel speclist last week who told ME I had ulcerative proctitis I have a conlospy this monday. little bit worried if he will find more than the above. He did say he need to do it to see how far it goes up into my colon. Does this sound right?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there; May put your mind a ease just a little. I suffer from ulcerative colitis and have done so for almost 4 years now. I have had 3 colonscopys over that time and altho worried to begin with, it gets easier! Best to be checked regularly! Ulcerative colitis is not nice ! Extremely antisocial and can be very debilitating. I have tried Mezzavant, am now on Asocol however a side effect of both for me has been peripheral neuropathy. Night-time is so bad! Tramadol helps a little but I worry about taking that. Amitriptyline apparently can also help but simply leaves me drugged and washed out next day! Short courses of a steroid can help with the colitis itself but as I'm sure you are aware, the steroids bring their side effects too. I would love to know the cause of my ulcerative colitis having lived a really healthy life. Never smoked, rarely drink alcohol either. One other thing that helps me is a low fibre diet. Avoiding all those really 'healthy' foodstuffs that I used to eat! I use the one available on the Guys and St Thomas website. Following that and using fasting days should I want to travel anywhere is all I can do to combat it. I wish you luck with your condition and look forward to reading how you get on!
  • Posted

Hi had my colonoscopy today and confirm ulcerative colitis of the lower part and the sigmoid colon. So happier that it is confirm. Got a follow up appointment in a few weeks. Just need to learn how to help control it. Next question how long do mesalazine take to work I haver been on them now for about ten days. There has been little improvement have been told they could taken up to 4 weeks is this right 

thanks dan 

• Posted

yes, doesn't always work right away. just follow gp advice and keep taking prescribed dosage. you will almost certainly be taking the med indefinitely!  if you continue having bad flare ups then maybe a course of steroids as well will help. I use Prednisalone over 4 weeks, reducing amount each 7 days from 4 daily thru 3, 2, and 1 over the 4 weeks. that can help.  it takes that for my condition to settle down. Also, my advice is to watch what you eat and start to re-introduce stuff gradually to see what agrees with you. after years of eating all the so called healthy foods, I discovered they were just making me worse. A low fibre diet and the occasional fasting works for me. 😀 Good luck, hope to hear how you get on, try not to worry that makes things worse!
  • Posted

Hey, I'm Brooke and I'm 17 and was diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis around 5 weeks ago. I was diagnosed with a flexible sigmoidoscopy which only goes up to half of the colon not the full. I am having a full colonoscopy to check if there are any patches so yes you case seems to be the same as mine. I am also worried that there will be patches but we are lucky that it is only proctitis. Hopefully yours won't have spread, best of luck to yousmile
  • Posted

Hi there is it normal with uc to white little spots on stools. This is only been happening over the last for days could it be the med I am on mesalazine

Thanks dan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.