Ulnar Nerve Compression

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello - I appear to be experiencing some Ulnar Nerve compression in my left arm. Here is some background on what led up to this.

I am a 33 year old Male, about a week and a half ago I was working on cutting deer meat when I cut up near the left tip of my middle finger (of the left hand) with a knife. I cleaned up the cut, applied isopropyl alcohol and Neosporin to the cut and put a bandaid on it. At the time I had no numbness or odd sensations in my hand.

About 3-4 days after I took the bandage off and was noticing that I appeared to have some numbness in my hand, along with some pressure around the palm of my hand. I then started experiencing some warmthness in this hand, extending partially up my arm. When this started occuring I went to a Walk In clinic who looked at the cut and my hand and other than the cut didnt see anything abnormal. They prescribed me a 10 day supply of Amoxicillin for an antibiotic (in case there eas an infection from the cut) along with a 5 day supply of Prednisone, along with a Tetnis shot. I am not on my last day of the Prednisone course and I feel like I have much better sensation in my left hand and that my numbess is gone, however I've had compression in my Ulnar nerve for the past few days.

The compression appears to be centered mostly near my elbow, either on the inner side of the Funny bone, or just above it in my upper arm. It feels like in that one spot like the never is being pinched.

I have no idea if the cut to my finger in any way could have caused this, or if it's pure coincidence. I will say that I have never experienced anything similar to this before. From what I understand the Ulnar nerve covers your pinky finger and right side of the ring finger, whereas my cut was to my middle finger so I dont know how the cut to the middle finger would affect the Ulnar nerve.

Is it possible that I have some inflammation from the cut that is somehow affecting this nerve? Would you expect to see this compression if you did have an infection

I'm trying not to worry too much but at the same time I don't want to ignore the problem. Would a hand Surgeon be a good option to make an appointment with if this doesn't resolve over the next fee days or what would you recommend doing? Thank you very much for your feedback!

1/4/19 UPDATE:

Just an update, the compression I felt in my elbow is gone, however I am feeling compression now above the elbow, on the upper part of my arm, and at times right below my shoulder. I want this to go away! What can I do? I had an appointment with an NP in Hand Orthopedics and she has scheduled me to have an EMG test performed. I wonder if there is some type of fluid buildup from inflammation from my cut (even though its not the same nerve).

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You may have trapped the ulnar nerve. A nerve conduction study would be best to see if this is the case. I have ulnar nerve damage after falling on my elbow forty years ago. It never healed. If you have nerve damage, there is very little you can do about it, if anything at all. There is no cure; only palliative pain relief which may or may not work for everyone.

• Posted

If you have a trapped or pinched ulnar nerve the only ultimate fix may be surgery to relocate the nerve. I have been dealing with the same thing since i was removed from a sling after rotator cuff surgery. I had an EMG to confirm ulnar nerve and saw a hand/arm surgeon. Presently undergoing hand/arm occupational therapy. Have to wear an elbow pad to help with pinching while sitting. Try to avoid resting your elbow on anything and try to keep your arm straight especially while sleeping. An exercise called a nerve glide may help too.

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback - the thing is, is that I did not injure my arm at all, I only had the cut to the middle finger. So if it is a pinched nerve it will never uncompress on its own?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.