Ulnar Nerve Entrapment - am I doing more damage?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Approx 5 months ago I started to feel a funny "twinge" in my right elbow and hand. I figured I picked something up wrong (backpack, laundry etc) and moved on. Soon I was waking at night with pain in my elbow and difficulty straightening it. I went to the Dr when it became apparent this was not a temporary injury. She diagnosed ulnar neuropathy - said she is pretty certain the pinch is in the elbow area but would like a full EMG to confirm her suspicions. The wait where I am is very long for this test - I have a date of Aug and the initial referral was made around March 1st. In the meantime, I seem to be experiencing a steady increase in symptoms. Numbness in pinkie and ring fingers of same hand, more pain more often in the elbow area and a lot more of that "banged my funny bone" feeling down my arm.

I am a 44 yo female with no major health issues and work an office job where I have been for 18 years. The Dr is certain that it is a repetitive strain type of cause - I type all day long and work with a lot of copy and paste in excel. While they will tell you "take your breaks" the work keeps being piled on and the culture is not one that makes me feel that I can do so.

My question is this - I am noticing more and more that while I am at the computer all day with my elbow bent I am experiencing more pain and numbness and sooner in the day than I initially was. While I wait for the Aug appt - Am I doing any additional damage by typing all day long or is it just the natural progression of the nerve pinch?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.