Ultra sound results have me worried

Posted , 4 users are following.

Three years ago when I first found out I was pregnant my doctor ran thyroid blood tests and then an ultra sound. I was never told the results and from then on I was seen by my obgyn who also said nothing to me about these results. I thought nothing of it. Fast forward to recent. Been having issues. Raspy voice, clearing my throat allot, dark spots on my skin headaches, fatigue and muscle soreness. My new doctor send me to endo who finds my results and tells me I had cyst back in 2014 and he wants to recheck. Obviously a shock to me. But I went and redid the tests.

My blood work both time are the low end of normal.

Here is what I'm concerned with the ultra sound findings.

01/09/2014

FINDINGS: Right thyroid lobe measures 5.9 x 1.6 x 1.4 cm. Multiple cystic lesions are noted in the right thyroid gland with largest cyst measuring 0.4 cm. One of the cysts has a small echogenic focus within it.

Left thyroid gland measures 5.7 x 1.6 x 2.3 cm. There is a complex cyst with some flow noted in the left thyroid lobe measuring 3.3 x 2.3 x 1.7 cm with echogenic foci noted within the wall . Smaller 0.4 cm cyst is noted in left thyroid lobe.

07/11/2014

Findings: Right thyroid lobe measuring 5.3 cm length x 1.9 cm transverse x 2.0 cm AP. Complex, mixed echo density nodule with internal and marginating vascular flow mid right thyroid lobe measuring 5 mm diameter. Measure slightly larger than similar finding prior study. Slightly more anteriorly, cystic-appearing nodules x2 largest measuring 6 mm x 7 mm x 4 mm with internal septation. Slightly more caudal cystic appearing nodule measuring 4 mm maximal dimension. Evidence of similar changes prior study.

Left thyroid lobe measures 5.2 cm length x 1.8 cm transverse x 1.3 cm AP dimension. Multiple nodules noted with a large complex appearing nodule with internal and marginating vascular flow demonstrated lower pole left thyroid lobe measuring 1.5 cm x 1.1 cm x 1.1 cm. This measures smaller than prior study. Slightly more superiorly, complex appearing cystic appearing nodule demonstrated measuring 7 mm x 5 mm x 5 mm. Several previously noted nodules left thyroid lobe appear to have resolved

Should I be concerned I don't have a follow up for 5 weeks. The ultra sound doctor said to call my doctor by Friday if he hasn't called. He isn't in until Tuesday. Just looking to ease my mind with information

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That last test was done 7/11/2017
  • Posted

Sounds like your thyroid is not functioning the way it should that's why, probably producing too much hormone.

My advice is to follow it up, I was careless in 2007 when I found out I had issue just like yours and never followed up, that's why I ended up having all my thyroid removed.

You might be lucky not to go through what I went through if you follow it up and make sure they tell you everything, if you don't understand pls ask questions. If they don't call you, call the doctor, they need to tell you the issue that's why they are called doctors.

For now do not worry, calm down. It's not

That bad until you know the truth behind what's going on.

Let me

Know. Goodluck!

• Posted

How are your levels after the thyroidectomy ? X

• Posted

My level are normal. I have no issues, even feel better after I had the surgery for sure..
    • Posted

My blood work is with in the normal lvls

1/8/14. 6/4/16.12/5/16.7/11/17

Tsh .06..54. .29. .51

Free

T4. .96..85.1.11

I was pregnant is 2014.

As far as the lab results list these fall with in normal limits except when I was pregnant?

• Posted

I think because your blood tests have been within normal range, your doctor is not very concerned about your thyroid.  Phone your doctor for the earliest appointment you can and discuss your concerns.  You could ask them to check your T3 as well as your TSH and T4, since sometimes that will show problems.

Thyroid problems are not something that has to be acted upon really fast, things happen slowly with thyroid.

I had Graves Disease (overactive thyroid) and ended up getting my thyroid removed, plus a parathyroid adenoma that was diagnosed by the endocrinologist because of my raised blood calcium.  Now I am on thyroid meds for the rest of my life and if there has to be a change of dosage, it is about 8 weeks before they can accurately tell how the change has affected me, because with thyroid it all happens pretty slowly.

So, don't panic.  Tell your dr your concerns, if necessary see another dr for a new blood test and second opinion if you don't feel your normal dr is taking it seriously enough.  Tell the dr how upset you feel that you were not told about your earlier results when you were pregnant and how that makes you more worried.  But you do have time.  You will feel sick if things are wrong, but it won't cause you a lot of damage.  Overactive thyroid, where you feel hot, itchy, sweaty, ratty and really notice your rapid heartbeat, is worse than underactive as far as needing to be treated sooner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.