Ultrasound

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, am hoping someone can help me out. I went with my husband on Tuesday for a ultrasound on his abdominal area, just to check because he has been having ulcer/ gall bladder troubles and they are just ruling everything out. Well I was watching the ultrasound and they were scanning his liver and I seen a grey mass (not sure what else to call it) the scanner seen it too he looked again measured it from all angles took pics, and scanned the rest of him, then had someone else in to check the mass they also took pics too and had a good look. I haven't told my husband what I had seen, but I was wondering if its bad news how long till we hear anything. We see the doctor who ordered this test in 10 days would they wait that long to tell us if it is bad news. Thanks for any help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You cant detect those things yourself. It will be reported to your husband by the doctor
  • Posted

Oh yes, they will wait the ten days, unless it was imminently life threatening. I always ask the doctor (radiologists are doctors, not just machine operators) to tell me if any bad news.

I have cirrhosis of the liver (alcohol) and I always quiz the doctor, I find more out from the radiologist than I ever do from my GP. But I am a regular hospital visitor and I have the confidence to just ask outright, straight to their face.

What you have to remember, is doctors see ill people everyday and to most of them, you are just an object to be processed. Some have good people skills, many don't. It took me quite a while to get used to it, but I know how they operate and I know how to deal with them, people like you have my sympathy, who are just bounced through the system.

• Posted

Thanks RHGB, just have to sit and wait (am not very good at). My hubby was a big drinker but not touched a drink in 3 years.
    • Posted

Hi Caz as far as I am aware the radiologist in UK would not be allowed to give you a diagnosis or even comment on the results of the scan, yes sadly you will have to wait for the results when you see the hepotologist or gastroentologist depending who your seeing
    • Posted

BTW, a radiologist can tell you what they have found (UK), whether they do or not is another question. My advice, is to write down your questions for when you see the GP. as you will forget many of them.

My last scan last year, I said to the radiologist, come on tell me the bad news, I could tell you taking your time over it. She asked me why I was referred. I said, come on, we are both adults, you and I both know why I am here. She said, okay, your liver is not great, but no worse than it was two years ago - when I had a long spell in hospital. She then said, but I was looking, you have small gallstones, that was what I was looking at.

If your husband was a big drinker, do ask about scarring on the liver. Don't ever feel embarrassed to push these people and ask question. as quite often they won't volunteer details freely. But you need to ask, otherwise you go away with so many unanswered questions in your head.

• Posted

Hi

To be honest I would say don't worry until there is something to worry about. Even if it is they may quite possibly leave it to discuss face to face in 10 days, but I would also say that scans are very difficult to decipher if your not trained in that field, so for the time being try not to worry and carry on as normal.

In all likelihood your husband may have noticed the pictures being taken and may not have mentioned it to you so you don't get upset, but he may not have so just go about your normal stuff and fingers crossed it is nothing. Remember there are always people to chat to on here, I've only been on it for a short time and have found other people to be very supportive

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.