Ultrasound

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi. I'm down for an abdominal/kidney ultrasound next month. 2 times in 3 months a trace of blood was discovered in urine. it was only in dipstick. i didnt see it in my urine whilst urinating. I'm wondering if a biopsy were needed, would it be done during the ultrasound test or at another appointment. any info welcome..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

As far as I know, that would be a separately scheduled procedure.

• Posted

As far as I know, that would be a separately scheduled procedure.

• Posted

many times blood in the urine can be as simple as a urinary tract infection. the ultrasound is probably just a precaution. I had renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer) and I had no symptoms at all. it was caught by accident really. my renal doctor wanted an ultrasound to check my kidneys to make sure that the internal structures all looked good. my mom used to say don't borrow trouble so try not to worry yourself too much. I wish you the best of luck

• Posted

Hi, good question.

No, an ultrasound is a non invasive procedure. A biopsy of the kidney is a highly invasive operation requiring analgesia, a team of clinicians and a consultant to complete. it usually takes place in major hospital e.g. st Thomas ( if in UK). This is not a simple procedure that would take place in a walk in clinic and your local hospital, it is a major undertaking requiring hospital care in a ward once the procedure is complete, with the patient also signing a disclaimer before it will take place. A kidney biopsy in your case does seem the right next course of action however. But bear in mind you could wait months for this procedure as it does require a highly skilled team.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.