Ultrasound Advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

My doc suspects I have IBS. This evening I had an ultrasound scan for which I had to fast for 6 hours prior to scan. (i actually fasted for 6.5 hours to make sure). During the scan the sonographer, who clearly has had a sense of humour bypass at some point, insisted I MUST have eaten during that time and said something about gall bladder (I wasn't really listening to be honest as I found her incredibly rude, obnoxious and boring). Anybody else had this before or know why she would think I had eaten when I had literally starved myself and was dying for food by then? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you have a really slow digestive system, your body just takes longer to digest food. Would explain symptoms of IBS if your body is struggling to break down the food you eat. And as for the sonographer, pfft. I had an ultrasound on Tuesday for Ibs related symptoms and during the scan was told I should have had more fluid!!! Trust me i couldnt have drunk more if i tried. I swear I almost exploded when they pressed on my bladder :P .... hope you find the answer to your problems anyway. Good luck, 
    • Posted

Thanks for your response Cub.. Seeing as I wasn't allowed food I compensated with copious amounts of water. My manager must have been really pleased with me rushing off to pee every half an hour :-). (a little quip I used during the scan which the assistant thought was amusing but not the doctor). I wasn't particularly worried by what she said, just the way she told me repeatedly "you must have eaten something".. Like I was lying to her. She  did say something about the gall bladder but by that time I was bored of her monotonous voice and switched off, all I heard was blah blah blah blah blah gall bladder.. Anyways, she definitely wont be winning any awards for her bedside manner any time soon.. 
    • Posted

Youre meant to have a full bladder on most an ultrasound anyway so to me it sounds like you did everything right. smile See if you can get tested for slow digestion... smile
    • Posted

You'r a star cub. Many thanks for your input x
  • Posted

Aww thanks.. I had a scan about a year back where I had to drink a lot of gunk and then they did a scan (think it was an mri) to see how quickly the drink went through my digestive track. Cant remember what the test is called but it sounds like you need a test like that done. They can also do a thing where you swallow a pill and they time how long it takes to pass through you. But ive not had that one done. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.