Ultrasound: “...consistent with hepatic steatosis.”

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, everyone!

I had an ultrasound due to abdominal pain.  The findings were normal except...

“Liver: There is diffuse increased liver parenchymal echogenicity, consistent with hepatic steatosis.  The liver is normal in size and contour.  No biliary ductal dilatation.”

This mean I have fatty liver?

If so, is this thing really reversible or not?  I’m willing to cut back on the fats and add more veggies.  (Already have been low carb so don’t have to make changes in that department.)

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was told 3weeks ago and I have changed my diet already I feel better ,I had pain on my right side under my ribs and round to my back which is still there but a lot better.

it can be reversed . I have fresh lemon and warm water in the morning , porridge with fruit for breakfast , salad for lunch and meat and veg for dinner , walnuts are good and plenty of fruit hope this helps and you will be fine

• Posted

Sorry I meant to say I was told I had fatty liver , it was a wake up call for me 

good luck 

• Posted

Hey, Helen!

Thanks for the prompt response.  Getting a diagnosis of any kind is always scary, and as an anxious person I can really appreciate the support you’ve given.

Lemon water Tea I can do.  For breakfast I’m thinking FlaxSeed(which have been grounded into a powder, Chia Seeds, and 3/4 cups of heavy cream.  Maybe some blueberries on top.  Is that good?

Then salads for lunch and dinner.  Probably spinach, avocado, olive oil, and maybe salmon or tuna.  

Will also step up my work outs.

Does this all sound aggressive enough?  

• Posted

Hi 

I would not go to mad do it slowly if you eat well there is no need for powders and such 

the only capsule I take is milk thistle I have lost 10 pound in weight , I only have milk with my porridge black coffee and fruit teas , I add pear, grapes and small orange to my porridge a few walnuts and a table spoon of bio Greek yogurt mix together it's lovely and keeps me going until lunch , for lunch I buy a mixed salad pot and add egg 

• Posted

Eat loads of fresh veg and plenty of water . Was you in a lot of pain ?
    • Posted

I’ve been on the Keto Diet for the past year and have awesome great glucose numbers.  5.4 A1C, and my fasting glucose numbers are never over 95.  And they’re usually at 84 on average.

BUT... I’ve been on the “lazy” Keto.  I’ve favored more animal fats, and lots of processed foods.

Now I’m getting my fat from Avocados, and coconut oil.  And I’ve upped my veggie intake A LOT.  

With these changes my abdominal pain is gone now.  I do get a slight pain when I take my supplements but.... I’m taking like 14 different vitamins.  Vitamin D, Chromium, Alpha Lipoic, Fish oil, Cod Liver Oil, Omega 3, K2, Calcium, Magnesium, etc.  

I will say this... my abdominal pain is more closely associated with stress and anxiety.  I’ve only felt this pain once before and it was during times of INTENSE anxiety.  It goes away when things fall into place.

The abdominal pain is strongest in the upper right... right below the ribs on the right hand side.

• Posted

That's a lot vitamins I don't take any I get them from my diet any way we are both on the right track and we can do this . Are you in the uk 

• Posted

I need the help with Vitamin D.  I’m deficient.  It’s cause it’s winter time and I live in the Northeastern US.

You know, my doctor wasn’t too concerned with my fatty liver because he said my enzymes were good in my blood work.

I know my enzymes weren’t good in 2011.  I wonder if this diet of mine has helped.  Meh.  We’ll see how this goes.

I think we should keep each other posted on our progress.  See what comes of our hard work and dieting.

• Posted

Yes you’ve been diagnosed with a fatty liver, which is, potentially, a reversible condition, providing you change your diet and exercise. The good news is that, at the moment, your liver is looking otherwise ok, but, unfortunately, that could change if you don’t do something about it.  It is a wake up call. Doctors used to  think having a fatty liver was unimportant, but things have changed.

Start eating a low fat diet, so cut back on dairy, fried foods, all baked goods except wholemeal bread. Switch to skimmed milk, 0% fat yogurts and reduced fat spreads and dressings. Avoid alcohol, chocolate, ice cream, fast foods, take away meals  and spicy foods. Base your diet on brown rice, wholewheat pasta and baked or boiled potatoes. Porridge oats are a good way to start the day: make with skimmed milk and add blueberries or bananas or raisins and cinnamon. No cream. Eat plenty of veg, salad and some fruit and lean meat, chicken, turkey and fish. Personally, I would avoid all supplements/vitamins unless prescribed or suggested by a doctor. As for exercise, you don’t need to train for the marathon: a good brisk walk in fresh air for at least 30 minutes every day will do it.

• Posted

Ok keep to the good diet and we will be fine by the way all my blood test came back good 

good luck and keep in touch 😀

• Posted

In 2012, I also experienced right abdominal pain and had high numbers in the blood.  But my Ultrasound was normal back then.  Does this indicate anything?

AST(SGOT).................117 value.................<40 U/L H Reference Range 

ALT(SGPT)...................60...........................<41 U/L H 

Both are high, but I don't know what exactly this means.  What is it indicative of?  I did drink 36hrs before the blood test.  Idk if that affects it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.