Ultrasound examination of the urinary tract

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am having this in a couple of weeks time - what should I expect? The hospital says it will take 30 minutes

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

You should expect to have to drink 1 litre of water 1 hour before the test so your bladder gets really full then hop around the waiting room for an extra half an hour with a very full bladder waiting for the ultrasound technician to become free. They are aware of how uncomfortable that can be so let you have a wee after examining your very full bladder.

• Posted

Update: I had it done yesterday. Took 15 mins and was painless. Even the full bladder thing was nothing to worry about!

• Posted

Abadgermac, for those that haven't had this done can you give a step by step to lessen the fear some people may have?

• Posted

It was a really easy experience. 2 pints of water 2 hours before. Ultrasound probe painless. Did not have to expose any "embarrassing" bits of me.

I would not be worried repeating this test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.