Ultrasound has shown 6mm Kidney stone, but CT scan came back normal

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello everyone,

I am a 28 years old male. Back in December, I had a abdominal ultrasound done due to constant nausea and reoccurring pain. It came back pretty normal, except for a 6mm kidney stone in the left kidney. As a result, I was referred to a urologist that ordered a CT scan without contrast three months after later. I just got the results back and nothing was found on the CT scan, everything was normal, no kidney stone. Also urine sample tests came back normal.

How is that possible that the ultrasound showed a kidney stone but the CT did not? I would have for sure noticed if I passed a 6mm stone in the meantime. The urologist said that it could have been a vessel calcification, but I find it hard to believe given the size of it.

Has anyone heard of this before? Should I ask for another ultrasound to still see if the abnormality exists? What would even be visible in an ultrasound but NOT in a CT scan as the CT scan is supposed to be a lot more accurate.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated smile

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.