Ultrasound report Concern...!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 32 years old.i had recently b12 and d vitamin deficiency. So i went for full body check up along with Vitamin test. In ultra sound scan it mentioned grade 1 fatty liver and kidneys have increased cortical echogenicity with Normal Size (9.7 mm) & Normal Collecting system , Bladder ..etc. I dont have blood Pressure / Diabetes or Protien trace in my urine. All by blood reports are normal. I asked my GP about scanning impression ...and he just ignored it and asked to drink more water. Also i have shown the reports to a Nephrologist and he also did not show any concerns wrt to ultrasound. This is about 2 months back ...and i read in google that is some thing chronic damage and stage 1 CKD and then sleepless nights thinking that i will progress to kidney failure in some years. Does any one here have similar experience where echogenic kidneys with all other blood reports normal. Please advise. 

Creatinine is (0.9 mg/dl)

Clear urine samples(No protein trace)

Blood Urea (17 mg/dl)

Random blood sugar (109)

Sgot/Ast (19)

BP (120 /80 & 130 /83) as per those two days readings.

B12 (130)

D vitamin (15)

Best Regards

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ash,

I don't have experience with what you've got. But your renal panel data looks good. If it would put your mind at ease you could seek a second opinion with another nephrologist. However, I'd say you should be able to trust what you've been told already.

As I've developed various chronic conditions I've had some difficulty trusting some of the doctors I've seen--unfortunately I've experienced actual legal medical negligence, malpractice and fraud. That primary care physician has lost his license and his practice. That's certainly a good thing. But I'm left with several serious chronic conditions that evolved over the ten years he was my "doctor."

So this has caused me to have some real difficulty trusting all doctors. During the first few years after I learned about all of this I decided the only thing I could do to deal with that situation was to seek out consults whenever I thought it it was needed.

So, back to my initial comment about your situation. If you need s consult with another nephrologist to put your mind at rest, by all means seek out a second opinion. We have to be our own best advocates for our medical care🐶

Best wishes on your new little one; he or she will arrive before you know it! And, stay in touch. Let us know what you learn.

Marj

• Posted

Hi Ash,

Your renal data all looks pretty normal.  As you would have no idea what your renal function numbers have been in life so far then you cannot know if anything has changed.  So just remember that everyone loses some function with age, and the trick is to make sure you do not increase the rate of deterioration by something that you do.  Taking enough water is a good start.  Eating in a fashion that keeps you away from diabetes, and is kind to kidneys is the second step.  Get your weight to the right point for your age and height.  Exercise!   And be suspicious of meds that can damage kidneys - there are a lot of them, from anti inflammatories to antibiotics!

KenR

• Posted

Ash.  You, like most of us, have made the error of looking things up on the internet that we know little about, trying to understand all the technical date the internet gives us, and jumping to conclusions that are contrary to what our doctors are telling us.  As people have said your blood test results, etc., look fantastic.  You have had two doctors say you are fine.  While the technical jargon used to describe your ultrasound results sounds scary and makes you worry, please not it includes the words NORMAL.  All it is saying is that compared to the average kidney (whatever that is, since we come in all shapes and sizes) you slight difference from the norm.  This does not mean you have CKD, or that renal failure is coming your way, or any of those extremes.  It can be caused by something as simple as dehydration, or liver. (you mentioned stage 1 liver problems, which by the say can be reversed by weight loss and proper diet).  Your doctor said to drink more water so it sounds like the they suspect dehydration is your problem.  Here is something I saw:

?"caused by severe dehydration due to liver abscess and acute salmonellosis which lead to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. After administering large amounts of fluid supplements, the renal functions dramatically recovered and the echogenicity of the renal cortex returned to normal. "

It can also be brought on by too frequent a use of NSAIDS.

?You do not have CKD.

• Posted

Hello All,

Thanks for your wonderful support and suggestions and time to reply for my concern. I have reserved every thing except scan after 3 months 2 days back. All My reports are normal including creatinine (0.9), No protien trace in urine , albumin , calcium and sodium levels in blood is normal. AND bun is also normal. No Blood pressure and diabetes. I pray for the god to be safe at least for 1 year until my next annual checkup. I am on low salt and low protien diet anyways and having enough water. Going for walk everyday. I am doing what is could do best from my end. Any suggestion still of I need to 're test less than 1 year.

Thank you

Ash

• Posted

Ash,

This is really good news! I certainly wouldn't pursue any more testing at this point; I'd just go back in a year as you've stated. Otherwise, I'd plan a vacation🐶 Time for some rest and relaxation following this somewhat stressful medical situation.

Marj

• Posted

Thanks Marj. Yes from yesterday it's my mind is relaxed. But how ever I have some doubts about ckd. What is usual time of progression in ckd stage 1 to stage 5. Is it like 5 years or 10 years...! I was painic since j am just 33 having 2 small kids ...read all related links life expectancy..etc and it states like stage 1 to stage 5 like 15 to 20 years for gfr is greater than 60 and some may be just 10 years. Just wanted to hear from you.

BR

ASH

• Posted

My nephrologist tells me that the length of time for progression can be difficult to project. Part of it depends on what has caused the CKD. Have you den a nephrologist specifically at this point or not? If not, it might be worth seeing a nephrologist to:

1. Determine what has caused your renal function at this point--if your primary care physician says you've had some decrease in function.

2. To get definitive guidance regarding what should be fine to preserve your current renal function.

3. Get some idea what yo expect with progression.

Most primary care physicians don't refer patients out to nephrologists until theircrenal function is in Stage IV or maybe Stage IIIb. Unfortunately many primary care physicians don't seem to know what to go to preserve renal function when it is in Stage II or Stage IIIa. So I wish I would have sought out an appointment with a nephrologist when my renal function was in that range. It might have helped preserve my remaining renal function longer.

However, if your data is still in the normal range you may not want to seek an appointment with a nephrologist.

Marj

• Posted

Marj as always gave perfect advice.  And I would like to add some more.  My CKD was "caused" because I had to have a kidney removed because it had a cancerous tumor.  So one day I was not even a stage 1 patient, but when I woke up from the operation I was considered stage 3b.  Now compare that to a person who is stage 3b because they had renal failure.  They started with stage 1, went through stage 3, etc.  In other words, their kidneys were on the decline.  Now will my life expectancy be different than that of the other person?  Most likely there will be some difference.  My remaining kidney may, or may not, be going through decline due to failure or just age or not at all.  time will tell.  My urologist never referred me to a kidney doctor.  He never referred me to an oncologist.  He said "I will handle it".  BUT my great primary care doctor was honest with me.  He said he has been in practice for about 20 years and never had a person with my condition (stage 3b because of kidney removal) and thought I should definitely be seen by both a kidney doctor and an oncologist because it certainly can not hurt to do so and would serve as great second opinion's to the urologist.  I have been pleased.  I now have a great, complete team.  Maybe it won't make one single difference in my expectancy but it provides me with confidence I'm doing the best I can no matter what may be.  I am so grateful to my primary care for not being prideful, and able to say to me that he does not know about CKD enough to feel he can give me the best care.  He does all my testing, but each test is sent to the other doctors and I meet with them and go over the results.  I did ask the kidney doctor about typical or usual progression through the stages.  She told me, there is NO usual, NO typical.  We are all different ages and that alone makes a difference.  Our kidneys are in different conditions, that makes a difference.  Everyone has different influences like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.  And every day there are doctors around the world working on CKD treatments.  She gave me good advice.  Consider you had no condition at all.  You would not think of your expectancy.  Yet, every day you get on a plane, cross a busy street, smoke a cigarette, livei in a polluted city, on and on, you have no idea if you will see another day.  Some do.  Some don't.  But we all just try to live and enjoy each day the best we can.  For me to do the same, because right now, whatever is going to happen will happen and do I want to live 20 years in worry or 20 years in joy.  Now I know it is easier said than done.  But on days I start to worry too much, I remember this advice, and "snap out of it"

• Posted

Hi Marj...

Yeah all of mg reports are normal. EGfr is 113. And other blood works are normal. But as said did not had chance to go for ultra sound scan again. May be I need to wait until next 6 months when I go back to mg country to test every thing. And I will book an appointment with nephralogist to be on safe side. Hope i have 6 months buffer at least.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.