Ultrasound results

Posted , 10 users are following.

Mum went for her abdominal ultrasound today, she asked the girl doing it can she see anything there and the girl said she couldn’t see anything too worrying and that someone has to go over the images, then told her to phone gp in a week for results.

Is this the normal procedure? 

If she had of seen something more sinister would my mum be told straight away or still have to wait

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

That’s exactly what happened to me. The guy that did the ultrasound said to me he couldn’t see anything worrying but he would send a report to my GP. These guys are a lot better trained in looking at the images than the GP so you can rest easy and trust him that he hasn’t found anything or he would have told u. I’m glad ur mum got on ok. 
    • Posted

Thank you, next step endoscopy on Tuesday fingers crossed for my mum
    • Posted

Hida scan is a good test for gallbladder, bcoz ultrasound shows only when the stone size are big enough.
  • Posted

Hi

I'm training to be a nurse although currently on a deferral due to own ill health.

Yes it is normal procedure as she was referred by GP the GP is responsible for providing the results and discussing.

If there is any real problem the results are sent over to GP generally within 24 hrs and your mum would receive a call to go in.

If this does not happen then 7 days is standard and it would either be something minor found or nothing at all found.

If you hear nothing and find the results are not good in 7 days this would be bad practice and shouldn't happen.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

PS

If it's something serious and they needed to keep your mum in they would get a 2nd opinion first ask you to wait and then return to discuss. So rest easy it's not anything urgent!

• Posted

Hi missd14

If thete is something sinister your doc will phone yr mum.....

• Posted

What you have described is normal procedure for an ultrasound.  My ultrasound technician talked me through my procedure and explained what she could and couldn’t see.  My doctor went over this too some weeks later and cleared up the unanswered questions I had.  

A friend of my dad’s had an ultrasound and it picked up a serious problem and she knew straight away because the girl doing the scan looked very worried and held her hand.

• Posted

They're not allowed to give the results to any patient in case they give the incorrect information.  A doctor has to look at the imaging and only they can give the results.  If it was something sinister they would speed up the results. 

It's normal practice 

• Posted

the 'girl' seems to be a technician, not the sonographer looking at pics and doing results.

this is ok for usual plain basic scans, but not for very tricky flow/velocity scans.

Had my fair share with technicians taking wrong pictures, hence sonographer could only read the result by provided pics. 

It is a 'cost' thing unfortunately, that sadly you don't get a sonographer to do your imaging, but a technician, who is not allowed to do any interpretation of pics taken and also doesn't have the training for tricky interpretation, just the bland obvious one.

Technicians are not allowed to tell you what they see as it might be different to what the sonographer sees.

If there was the obvious to the blind problem, they get up and talk to sonographer right there in case an in hospital stay was needed right then.

Everything else will be reported via sonographer (not technician) to the referring GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.