Umbilical hernia issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I had a umbilical hernia repair using mesh and laparoscopic insertion it went horrendously wrong and my omentum attacked the mesh and I had to have major surgery to remove it and the entire omentum as well. The symptoms were extreme stomach pains, swelling and periodic vomiting. Now after five years since the removal and replacement with another mesh I still suffer periodic vomiting of about 2 litres of green bike every 3 months, major cramp on my side and abnormal bowel movements. I also suffer from serious intestinal griping pains which double me up. I firmly believe the mesh needs to be removed but will this cause more problems, I really am losing the will to live with these issues.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, this is my 1st time to this group, I belong to a couple of others.

I was very interested in your post, unfortunately I can't help you but I'm very interested in your post surgery problems. 

A quick information  of my hernia.  In April I had a hernia repair. The Surgeon said he booked extra operating time as he couldn't figure out exactly where the hernia was as it changed.

Turns out they had to do it by an incision because I had 3 hernias,  which probably explains the different types of symptoms etc that I was having all the time.  I was kind dense at the time as I didn't ask any questions so I don't know what kind of repair I had which may be helpful to me now! 

Anyhow, sorry that took so long.  I've been having a lot of upper abdominal discomfort,  sometimes pain and nausea!  Of course it started after my post op checkup and symptoms were  vague for awhile!   It starts after I eat, it doesn't feel like it's my stomach but the muscles below & around?   It feels like I'm bloated but it's not gas!  I  don't really know how to describe it, just know that sometimes I just want to go to bed, which doesn't help! 

I will be seeing my Family Dr about it but after seeing your problems and how many people do have post op problems it's scarey!   I know I have to go but don't want to!

I understand  not wanting to live like you are, I have alot of arthritis, 2 failed knee replacements, Diabetic Neuropathy and obesity.  The last one is harder to control as my level of activity has really decreased.  Some days I think I can't go on like this much longer, the pain has changed who I was! 

Do you feel like they think you're a hyperchondriac?   When was your surgery?I've read that there was a recall on some of the mesh products they were using! I believe that was this year saw it when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with me! 

Sorry I'm not any help, I guess I'm just trying to let you know you're not alone! 

Good luck to you, hope you get good solution that will make life better for you, Susan 

• Posted

Hi, I believe my issue is related to lesions which block my bowel functions , I do suffer on a periodic cycle of about every three months and can sometimes feel something snap inside. The original operation went horribly wrong and I believe I was on deaths door before the emergency repair. Look on you tube as I placed the video of the second operation on it, its called FP Repair OP. This was originally done in January 2012 and buy June 2013 I was in for the repair. I had constant bloating and constipation and still have this.
    • Posted

I saw your Utube video, very interesting,  sometimes it took a bit to figure out exactly where they were.   How did you get a video done and then get a copy of it?

I think that it sometimes help to actually see what was making you feel so horrible!   It looked to me and my untrained eyes that it was quite a mess inside you!   It also looked like they took alot of tissue from you? 

Did you by any chance see the video, about 2 over from yours, of a person having hundreds of parasitic worms removed from their intestines!  That person must've been pretty sick and skinny, not the way I'd choose to lose weight! 

Anyhow thanks for sharing, Susan 

• Posted

Hello

I had a mesh inserted for an umbilical hernia and it ruined my life for three years until I had it removed and the hernia fixed by just sewing the hole shut.

It has completely changed my life having it removed. You would have to have a really good doctor do it. If you're in the UK I can recommend the doctor who helped me.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your story!   I'm from Canada so a trip to your Dr would be a little extreme, Haha! 

I've just finished supper and my upper abdomen is feeling a little uncomfortable.  I'm on my tablet and it's awkward finding a comfortable place to  hold it! 

It's not bad enough to go see the Dr. as the surgery is only 5 months ago and it often takes a year to totally heal especially since I had the incision and 3 hernias.  I certainly will go if it gets worse at all.

It's fun sharing conditions,  repairs etc.  from people all over the world!   Susan  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.