Umbilical hernia repair questions

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a small umbilical hernia. Has anyone opted to just watch and wait rather than have surgery?

I am considering having it repaired at a location where they don't use mesh.

Thanks.

Rich

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't wait as they only get bigger.I had one repaired 2 years ago,open surgery no mesh and it was fine.In 4 weeks i am having an epigastric one repaired with a mesh.

• Posted

Did they not use mesh because the hernia was very small, or was it because they were using an alternative treatment style (like Shouldice)?

• Posted

oh, the moderator just grabbed my reply. Here it is again, slightly altered. Did they not use mesh because the hear it was very small, or because they were using an alternative treatment style?

• Posted

autocorrect strikes again! That should have read “because the hernia was very small”
    • Posted

I can't remember but with my next one i will have mesh as i got told that if you don't hernias normally come back.The mesh gives more support.

• Posted

I read several posts on this forum from folks who had bad experiences with mesh repair.
    • Posted

Yeah, don't do mesh. Ruined my life for 3 years until I had it removed. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. That's certainly what I'm concerned about.

• Posted

I had an umbilical hernia for years before it hurt. I should have taken care of it right away though. 
    • Posted

Why do you think you should have taken care of it right away?
    • Posted

Because it's better to do it before it really hurts. 

• Posted

Do we know if it always gets worse?
  • Posted

I've had an umbilical hernia and an inguinal hernIa. First I got the inguinal hernia that I pretty much ignored for 12 years. It didn't cause much pain, but apparently it got big enough for bladder to slide through, which complicated everything about its repair. About 4 months after it was fixed, I got an umbilical hernia. This time I didn't wait at all for getting it fixed. At first they planned to put a mesh in it, but when they cut into it, it was still small enough, that they changed their mind about that. I think I've learned that putting it off, might not be a good idea. Good luck with it Rich.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.