Un-unified bone in fingertip. What now?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Almost 7 weeks ago, I sustained a crush injury to the fingertip on my right index finger (my predominant hand). I required stitches to my ruptured soft tissue, my nail came off, and I broke the bone in the tuft/tip of my finger.

It's at a point where it's clear the soft tissue is going to heal but it's a little misshapen and I'm still waiting for some skin to peel off. The nail looks like it's growing back, I think. But here is my biggest concern...

My doctor told me that my bone is most likely not going to re-unify. The end of the tuft is seperated from the rest of the distal phalanx. He describes it by saying I basically amputated the end of my fingertip bone but the soft tissue is still in tact.

My doctor says just to use it in order to answer the question "will I be able to use it like normal?" which I understand because it's something that will be gauged through experience. But, as of right now it can't be used like normal. If I scratch my sideburns or scroll down on my touchscreen, I feel the tip of my finger being pushed back. It's like there is no supporting structure there because... there's not... it's just flesh sticking off the end of my finger.

Surgically amputating the soft tissue is something neither of us wants to do. So, how can it best get back to normal strength?

Can my finger strengthen the muscles and ligaments sufficiently to give the tip enough strength to do normal pressing or rubbing without being pushed back?

If (emphasis on "if"wink my nail grows back, will that act like a reinforcing wall and makeup for the missing skeletal support?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.