Unable to bare weight on my leg.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I'm waiting for my 2nd discectomy on my L5/S1. However, about 10 weeks ago, I developed a more intense pain down the back of my thigh, knee and into my calf. It's gradually got worse. 3 weeks ago, I couldn't stand on my leg, the pain was so intense, like it's being ripped apart. I can't turn over in bed, and when I get out of bed, I have to just stand for about 5 minutes. It was so bad, my husband took me to A&E. They reluctantly gave me an MRI, which has shown the next Disc up, L4/L5 has prolapsed and slightly pinching the nerve aswell. Would this 'slight' pinch be enough to cause this sort of pain? I've had sciatica for just over A year, and been on Pregabalin.. but they're not touching this pain. Not being able to put weight on my leg is concerning me!! Has anyone else ever had this symptom from sciatica? Many thanks. X

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Soooooo common.  Typical sciatica symptoms. Read #4 in the list...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/sciatic-nerve-pain-from-the-perspective-of-many-decades-629096

Fix the problem...get rid of the pain.

• Posted

Thanks Chico Marx. I did read this before, but was in no state to reply to be honest. It's very interesting..and very true. I've been saying to my Dr, surgeon and pain management team for the last year, it needs fixing, instead of meds masking the pain. Which, the last 4 months, meds haven't worked.! Finally been fixed.. 11 days post op now. Still got some thigh pain, but hoping it will ease off over time.

• Posted

I have this too. Pain is so bad I can't put weight on it. I haven't been to Dr. Yet.

• Posted

Hi. So sorry for not replying sooner. The pain and intensity got so much worse.! I was getting about 90 minutes sleep a night as the pain just wouldn't stop.! I rang the spinal team 3 times, completely breaking down the 3rd time. I've never had pain like it..and couldn't bare any weight on my bad leg at all. The guy booked my pre op assessment there and then.. and at the same time, I saw my surgeon. The same afternoon, I had a phone call booking me in for my op 10 days later, on 30th July. I am now 11 days post op. All went well. My surgeon shaved back the 2 discs off the nerve, and removed some scar tissue from my discectomy op 18 months ago. I am Still getting some posterior thigh pain, and occasionally in my heel, but I can stand, and walk..which is amazing if you'd seen me on the morning of the operation.!! So its done, and just recovery to get through now..then fingers crossed, it never happens again!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.