Unable to eat or drink - Please help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Background: I am 26 years old. I have autoimmune disease, diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. About 1.5 years ago, I began having both acid reflux and indigestion symptoms for the first time in my life. As my symptoms worsened and became more frequent, I developed Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. I have been taking 120mg Omeprazole continuously everyday for about 8 months, though there has been no relief. I have tried every antacid you can name, both medicinal and natural methods with no relief. I have cut most acidic foods from my diet. I don't drink alcohol or smoke. As I have arthritis, I was put on a short 6 week dose of Prednisone a couple of months ago. Prednisone relieves inflammatory pain, and I found that for the first time in 1.5 years, I had no esophageal pain while taking Prednisone. The day after I stopped, the pain returned.

In December, I ended up in emergency hospital as I was unable to eat for 10 days, and could barely swallow water (or my own saliva for that matter) due to the extent of pain that I was in. Both food and liquid would get stuck in my esophagus. I had lost a considerable amount of weight, and I was dehydrated. I was scheduled for both a barium swallow and an esophageal endescopy with biposy. The results came back clear, there was no sign of esophageal erosion, there were no issues with my swallow, and the biopsy came back clear. I was discharged with a prescription for Domperidone and Omeprazole.

Four months on, and the pain is just as severe. The pain feels as though a sharp knife is slitting down my esophagus every 15-30 seconds. I am unable to sleep some nights due to the agony. I have been unable to eat for 5 days, though I have been drinking some water. I get cold sweats from how much pain I am in. I am at a desperate loss for what to do. If anyone can provide any insight into what could be going on and/or possible further tests that could be carried out, that would be greatly appreciated.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi there, might be a silly question here but why cant you go back on the Prednisone if it took away the symptoms?? 
    • Posted

I was prescribed Prednisone for my arthritis, but discovered secondarily that it also eased my esophageal pain. Prednisone is typically a short term medication used to suppress the immune system and decrease inflammation, though it carries serious adverse risks if used long term. I only mentioned the Prednisone to highlight that there must be an inflammatory issue, despite the endescopy showing no visible inflammation or erosion. I am raised the issue of Prednisone as I am wondering whether what I am experiencing could be another autoimmune disease. I hope that answers your question!
  • Posted

Interlude,

What you have right now is an engine light on in your car and the Dr's have basically pulled out the bulb to mask the real underlying problem, by giving you drugs. When your engine light comes on, is the light, the problem, no, the light is just the warning that there is a problem.

The same it is with reflux. Reflux and all these other symptoms are just warning signs; the real underlying problem is what you put in your mouth, i.e food.

Trust me I suffered this horrible thing for nearly 15 years. I was born in the 70’s, so was only raised to eat what my parents told me to eat. The modern diet over the past 50+ years has changed so drastically and this is why you are seeing literally millions, upon millions of people suffering this disease. Foods are highly processed, fiber is being stripped out of foods that your body requires it to have. Foods are loaded and saturated with disgusting hydrogenated oils, tons of salt, tons or refined sugars, additives, preservatives; we microwave the heck out of our foods, stripping every ounce of nutrients from them. This is the real problem that has caused your engine light to come on.

I didn’t believe it at first because I know people that eat garbage all day and every day, and they didn’t seem to have the problems I had. I guess everyone is different, and technically no one really knows what is going on inside someone elses body. People may look healthy, but inwardly you don’t know what is going on.

Anyway, I recently wrote a post on here called, “How I kicked Reflux and GERD after 14 years on and off”, please do a search, look it up and read it. I know everyone’s body is different, but I think there will be some helpful information in there for you.

I hope you find some relief soon.

All the best.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your advice! I am going to try deducting food groups from my diet to see whether my condition eases - starting with removing all wheat from my diet. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this painful condition!
    • Posted

Interlude, 

Cutting out breads is definitely a good choice. A huge amount of people who suffer reflux find some relief when they quit for a while. I found cutting out all breads, startches (rice,potatos, pasta) and sugars pretty much stopped my reflux altogether. I honestly cannot tell you why that is. It could possibly be that acid reducers stop the acid in your stomach, and then maybe bacteria started to thrive. You see acid in your stomach is what kills bacteria. The sugars and starches could have possibly been feeding the bacteria. I honestly don't know. I've read a lot on it, but can't tell you the chemistry behind it all. Anyway, I went back to basics, vegetables and a little bit of meat for the first few weeks. I added some fruit after because the brain requires a certain amount of sugar to function. It was those first few weeks, that my reflux cleared. It was amazing because i had almost accepted the fact that i would never be reflux free, i figured it was something maybe genetic. That first night of sleep and waking up with no sore throat was the best feeling i had had in a long time. Hope you figure it all out soon. I look forward to hearing your progress.

• Posted

this worked with someone else and it's easy To try out - use an acid instêad of an ant-acid to rebalance your stomach acids.

Drink a whole can of coca cola about 3 or 4 hours before bed. Don't take anything else. The phosphoric acid in it can work wonders.

all best 

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback! In the past I have had a carbonated beverage while suffering from acid reflux, though I found that this worsened symptoms. Everyone is different, and as we still haven't identified whether my condition is solely acid reflux, or whether there is another underlying issue causing it, it's difficult to find relief without knowing the cause.
    • Posted

it's NOT a carbonated drink I say, it's coca cola that's containS 'Phosphoric Acid' that I recommend . Details, details are very important.
    • Posted

I should have been more specific, of my personal experience I have tried coca cola, along with a couple of others.
  • Posted

ps

Ant-acids can CAUSE acid reflux. They do for me! Calcium supplements and indigestion pills and liquids are terrible for me. 

• Posted

Hi - one thing I have learned here is to try the simple stuff. You might like to research MSM as to me it could address many of your problems plus its very cheap. Its well covered in Liver books.
  • Posted

I  have not been on this page for ages but picked up your message . I can only give you the benefit of my own personal experience. I hope it helps . I  was diagnosed with eosophogitus, hiatus hernia and a polyp in my stomach following an endoscopy .My symptoms were choking and burning in my throat and I was unable to eat any food and my life was a misery.  Medication just made it worse it stopped the acid but made me nauseous and unable to eat and I was  losing weight. Life was really miserable , I new I had to find a way out and diet was the only answer and its worked . 

Diet ,is the only answer to this problem . Medications did not work for me and stopping it caused me a lot more problems as it  gave me more acid , however I persevered with the diet and in the end it worked. I am now free from symptoms and I can  eat one or two goodies or treats on special occasions without problems. It a hard road to travel and you have to be strong and reject any food which is not fresh made .Fresh food is crucial , dark  green vegetables are excellent especially Kale , stirfry veg with coconut oil.  No more ready meals and fast foods. Just plain simple chicken fish and vegetables and porridge everyday for breakfast with banana. Snack on raisins, yougurt, pears and drink camomile tea or water only , Boring I know but it works ,Cut out all fats, sweets and chocolate, spicy food onions,garlic, tomatoes  ,Follow  the Kaufman diet and cure for reflux its the only good guide availabe and works. Its a tough diet to follow but I have cured myself with it and have recommended it to many. Once you have relief from symptoms you can then introduce a few other foods but only in limitations. Healthy eating is theonly way. Its a mantra . I've  lost weight and feel better for it and I am now maintaining . Walking for 20 minutes a day is also good for this disorder as it helps keep the hernia down and the acid down.I did loads of research to find this cure for me . I can only share it and hope it helps others .

• Posted

Hi I am a 49 year old male & have been suffering from Osaphagitis(grade A), Gasritis, Duodenitis & have a small hiatal hernia for the last 10 months. It started with Acid reflux & was prescribed acid suppressing meds. I have loss of appetite, trouble swallowing & speaking. Pain in stomach & burning pain after eating. I am also on bland diet consisting mainly milk, cereals & bananas. I had 4 endoscopies, ct scan, ultra sound of abdomen nothing other than inflammation found. I have been on antibiotics because they said it might be due to h pylori infection, but no relief. Tried alternative meds, no relief. I am unable to eat or even drink sometimes. My gastroentologist does not know what to do now. He thinks my symptoms are in my mind & also possibility autoimmune in nature.But if they found inflammation surely it is physical. It has got to the stage where I am avoiding people and isolated and don't feel there is anything anyone can do about this. I greatly hope someone can help within this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.