Unable to exercise after TKR

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am just over 2 weeks post op having had a TKR on my my right leg. I have struggled with pain relief since day 1 and am now on a low dose slow release tramadol and also ibuprofen. My main concern is the lack of bend in my knee. i struggled to reach 80 deg before i left hospital but this has reduced greatly over the last week. My physio says i must push through the pain to see any results but i find this so hard when it hurts so much. It feels so stiff and tight like the whole thing is going to explode!! Beginning to wish I had never had this done and its really starting to drag me time - the time of year doesn't help either with everyone rushing around christmas shopping and partying! Any advice and encouragement would be appreciated.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Alison

It is still very early days for you, and this is a difficult time of year to have the operation with the weather changing (I had my first TKR in Dec 2012 and came out of hospital a week before Christmas).  It is a very painful operation and you need to be very strong-willed to work at the exercises.  Try to walk every day and do your lifting and bending sitting on the bed.  I think that it's much easier if you have family support...I live on my own and only had my 87 year old father to help me.

Use a tray or carrier bag to help increase the bend.  It will come in time.

Hope that you have a peaceful Christmas, and try not to worry too much.

Patsy

• Posted

I'm 76 living in the UK - I'm about where you are, Alison on my right knee (5th Dec.) Had my left knee done in July (20 weeks before). Completely different experience experience after long chat with the anaesthetist and change of pain relief. However, had a set back on Tuesday when napping in my recliner chair and my foot slipped off the side of the footrest and got stuck in the hinge!! Agony! Anyway took myself off to bed a 6 pm and stayed there til 8am the next day.

Don't think I've done any damage but it scared me and its still.very sore and stiff.

My bend was better in hospital (about 85) so doing the

exercises very gingerly.

Hope you will soon be feeling better - we're all in this together. God bless and keep in touch my friend. 😺

• Posted

Hey, Allison.  How are you doing now?  I am 5 weeks post op..PT is going great for me....I did learn quickly to be sure to regiment the pain meds and for sure 1 hour before PT.  

i am am fighting depression badly....or I guess that is what it is...I just seem to cry for nothing.  

Keep eps telling my self I am doing well and it will get better, I am 54 years old and was always very active and independent.  Relying on my hubby for everything has been hard...but he has been wonderful.  I am 2 weeks no assisted walking device....except using walker walking in the neighborhood...PT requires that...just so I do not fall.  I am at 120% bend.

• Posted

Hi Pam, its good to hear that you are doing so well, and trust me you really are! My recovery as been, um, rather slow to say the least! Back in January I had to go back into hospital for a manipulation under anaesthetic, as I still had trouble with my bend - it was only around 75 deg. The whole process was quick and was probably the best thing for me but even with weeks of fairly intense PT my bend is still only barely 100deg. 

I know I should be grateful that I can use it at all but to be honest I'm really disappointed with the result. My knee is less painful than before the TKR but my range of movement is much more restricted and this is what's causing my disappointment. 

I'm 50 years old and I too have (and to be honest still are) suffering depression which I think has been brought on by having the TKR and leaving me feeling so dependent on other people and isolated. I am still not back in work as I am unable to perform my job as a kitchen assistant and can't see me getting back there any time soon.

All in all, still wishing I hadn't had this done but hopefully things will improve and my thoughts will change.

I expect you wish you hadn't asked now!!! 

So glad that things seem to be moving in the right direction for you and am thrilled at your 120 deg bend!

Well done and good luck.

• Posted

Allison, 

we all heal differently. I have found a few thing the hard way...I set an alarm on my IPad to take my pain meds....stay on top of it for sure.  Also, I found that I swell a lot more than most people...per my PT.  I invested in a couple extra gel pack I can freeze....when I do ice, i ice the top and bottom of my knee at the same time....it has made a big difference for me.  Also, sounds like we are a lot alike....I had a hard time resting with my legs elevated for an hour 2 times a day, but DO IT.  I do 1 hour in morning between breakfast and lunch and again in late afternoon.  This has helped me a lot...I am very stiff when I get up at first...but over all it works.

• Posted

Allison,

How are u doing?  I was thinking about you yesterday.  Hope you are moving forward....persistence is the key.😍

• Posted

I do understand.  I sat at the kitchen table and cried yesterday morning while having my cereal for breakfast.  I know it seems like you just keep trying and trying and getting nowhere.  All the sudden it happens.  Hugs!
    • Posted

Oh bless you. We all have good days and bad days it just seems the bad days have overtaken the good! Unfortunately by unoperated knee has decided now would be a good time to let me know it needs some TLC. The pain is so bad that its stopped me from excercising completely! I know I will probably have to see the doctor about getting it done but I can't quite bring myself to do it yet! I feel like I've gone back 6 weeks and even had to use crutches on the weekend. Nightmare. Hope you are well? x
    • Posted

Allison,  Get on that telephone and call.  I am so sorry you are experiencing pain in your..."good" knee.  God bless!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.