Unable to fully empty bowels properly.....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Mid 36 yo male, pretty fit. 

For the last 9 months or so I've been finding it increasingly difficult to completley empty my bowels - it's not just a 'feeing' either. I'll pass waste and then anywhere between 5 minutes and 1 hour later I'll go again and release another large amount of stool. This happens 2-3 times and even then sometimes I don't feel fully empty. 

I understand I have symtoms of IBS (nothing too bad) but the main problem I have is this (along with some mucus appearing on tissue a few minutes after I've wiped clean - another IBS symptom.)

I have to get up 2 hours or so before I need to leave the house so I can fit in my toilet routine and it's very uncomfortable with the feeling of stool still inside. 

I've tried loads of 'natural' meds (peppermint capsules, stool softners, probiotics, etc) but nothing seems to work. I've also tried to identify food triggers but nothing seems to stand out. 

My questions to you all is have you experienced this, what did you do and what did the doctors advise? 

I've been to my drs and complained of IBS symtpoms and he gave me antispasmodic tables (which didn't do a lot), but before I go back I wanted to see what other explainations/options are available? 

I've recently had a blood test and a few years back had a colonoscopy with no abormal findings.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

ive recently just had an operation on my apendix an tore my bowel, an i suggest you drink plenty of fluid atleast 2 to 3 litres an go to your doctor an ask if you can these tablets , they are called bisacodyl, these certainly clear you out
  • Posted

Rather than using stool softeners have you tried a bulk forming laxative i.e. Fybogel? This may help.
  • Posted

I have found my initial issue with not emptying completely was a hardened stool.  Although i had daily bowel movements , i still always felt like I didn’t empty all the way. I had colonoscopy and pelvic sonogram and it showed no issues. My doctor told me she felt it was hardening stools and had me clear my system with a glycerin suppository which made me realize that’s exactly what the issue was. I had been dealing with this issue for months so the cause being a hard stool was surprising but that’s exactly what it was. To maintain balance i started using natural vitality natural calm which is a powder magnesium. That helped regulate me. I can still have this issue periodically depending on what i eat that might cause stools to harden but now I recognize how to treat it. Now with taking the Calm powder I’m back to normal. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.