Unable to get my fentynal patch due to insurance, Will Oxy help withdrawing?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Please help looking to see if anyone else has had this issue. I've been on patches for 3 years and had to stop cold turkey. Doctors office called in methadone which also needs autorotation and I'm still waiting.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Eliza,

I’m really sorry to hear what you’re going through. 

I was on Fentanyl patch for 15 years? Have been off for 2 years now.  The withdrawal is very brutal. 

I was put on withdrawal medication, See if your dr can get you something to help with withdrawal while you wait for your pain medication. 

I wouldn’t take the oxy without your drs approval.

Good luck to you!  I know how very frustrating it is to get through med refills, cold turkey on Fentanyl is not a good idea.   Take care!  Karen 

• Posted

I have a script for the Oxy just didn't know if that would be enough to get me thru the fentynal withdrawal. The MD did call in something but that also needs prior auth. Just like the patches did and they denied so I was screwed and had to go cold turkey. Sad thing Is the doctors office didn't seem to concerned just said oh you'll be ok. Really?  I'm glad to be off the patch just not this way. I'm inbetween jobs so I have Medicaid temporary and they deny patches and many other pain medications even if the md prescribed them. And with Medicaid your not allowed to pay out of pocket. 

• Posted

How are you feeling off of the Fentanyl?

It’s a drug I will never go back on unless I’m a terminal patient. I have Severe Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis

I’m taking Dilaudid and it’s enough to hold  the pain at a tolerable level. 

Oxy is also a very scary drug. If you need pain meds like Fentanyl, my pain Mgmt doc said methadone is an okay choice. Does Medicare pay for this medication? 

I cannot even imagine not tapering off the Fentanyl and your dr office telling you no big deal, it’s s huge deal. Took me 2 years for my body to recover from the Fentanyl. 

• Posted

I'm doing ok I read gabapentin helps with withdrawal and I have that for nerve damage, seems to help at a higher dose. I agree I'll never use the patch again either. You said it took 2 years for you to feel normal, what do you mean by that? I'm sorry about your diagnosis and thanks for responding.

• Posted

I have Medicaid not Medicare big difference. You need a prior authorization for all long acting meds like methadone. Medicaid seems to be denying fentynal patches and many long acting meds, so my doctor would have to appeal it. I take Oxy low dose for years but the doc upped the dose for now until I see her and also put me on a clonidine patch for withdrawing alittle late for that but u know md offices.
    • Posted

Gabapentin was one of the drugs I took along with a couple others for the withdrawal symptoms. 

The news is full of opioid abuse and unfortunately,  we who need it medically, get grouped into that. doctors,  pharmacies, along with insurance, make it very hard to fill.

It’s stress you don’t need when you don’t feel well.

There were many times  I was treated like an addict, at pharmacies, always stressful to refill every month.

I was on 75mcg patch every 48 hrs for over 15 years, I wanted off the drug badly!!

Fentanyl turns off the pain receptors, and it takes your body 2 years to heal to your normal, which will never be like others who have not taken opioids 

The first 3 months were brutal, 6 months very hard, at a year I was doing better, still had some symptoms, body pulling, muscle pain, headaches and bad fatigue.  

I went on to this site many times  for Information, I was scared all the symptoms I was having would never go away, I felt like I was never going to feel better. 

I was told by several others it was a 2 year recovery. It helped me know there was an end.

With  my JRA Possibly it made the recovery harder. 

Today I can say I’m so thrilled to be off of Fentanyl. I feel 100% better then on it.  

Thank goodness you have the Oxy, and the clonodine.  I took clonodine and gabapentin orally. 

Hopefully not getting the Fentanyl refilled will be a blessing in the long run. 

Let me know if any questions?   I had many questions through the withdrawal. 

You haven’t been on the drug as long as I was, hopefully you’ll have an easier withdrawal.

Karen smile

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm hanging in there certainly not easy.

• Posted

I have been on fentynal 75mcg every 72hrs. Since April 2012 due to a dog attack which caused CPRPS with contrature of right hand. My Dr recently left the practice and I started seeing a new Dr whom took me off fentynal cold turkey. I am going through pure HELL . Bp was 197/98 when i went to ER. I have had severe uncontrollable movement of legs. Nausea,vomiting,diarrhea,sweating, crying. I have wished I was dead at times. Friday will be 2 weeks since I was taken off it. I don't wish this on my worse enemy. My Dr gave nothing to help with withdraw .Good luck. I am going to talk to attorney. I have never failed a drug test or pill count.

• Posted

Oh Tammy It’s so hard, brutal actually. 

Worse thing I have ever went through in my life. 

The first 2 weeks are pure hell! At 3 and 6 months there were changes in feeling better. I can’t  believe your dr would hang you out like that.  You should seek a pain Mgmt dr willing to help you through this withdrawal.  It’s a long road, but you will get better, I promise !!!

You really need to get some medication for the withdrawal symptoms. I’ll tell you you’ll still feel awful, but does help with the muscle pulling and twitching, sleeplessness, etc.  

We are put on this very seriuos medication for a reason, it’s a dr’s resposibility to help you get off the drug. The clamp down on opioids has been rough for those who have medically been on this drug, it’s so wrong!  Drs are scared to prescribe. 

Hang in there, and please see if you can get a drs help on this. 

• Posted

I am so sorry your doctor did that to you! That's just wrong!!!!!

• Posted

I'm so sorry. Dangerous. Go 2 ER. They will have 2 medically treat u please. By law.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.