Unable to grow finger nails on two fingers on both hands

Posted , 2 users are following.

for more than 15 years, I have been unable to grow the nails on my ring and middle fingers.  The other names grow fine.  I have Fibromyalgia with numbness and tingling in limbs when sitting, or rising up or reaching overhead (like showering).  I have no moons on any fingers and can only grow little stumps of nail on these fingers.  Thumb, pointer finger and baby finger have longer nails, although they are not strong.  Any ideas?  

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I went for a manicure recently and the manicurist said that she came across a lot of people whose nails did not grow. I stubbed a toe about three years ago and the toenail has not grown since. Do you think you damaged your fingers' nail beds fifteen years ago somehow. I only have half moons on my thumbs.  My nails have become quite strong recently as I have to take a vitamin D and calcium supplement to counteract the steroids I am taking. I am not sure which is helping my nails. I don't think I would take steroids just to make my nails stronger though!! 
  • Posted

I don't think it is from an injury.  The physiotherapist said that I had blood pooling in my fingertips when she first started working on me.  My hands were so numb for so long that I didn't even realize that I had lost sensation until she began ultrasound, and they became tingly.  My hunch is that the muscles are so constricted that it is imparing blood flow...but I am not an MD!  My nails have improved on the other fingers since ultrasound, so perhaps these ones will eventually get enough juice to start growing again ✨💚✨
    • Posted

That is quite possible as it is impairing the nail growth. It was just that it was two finger nails I thought you may have knocked them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.