Unable to move my ankle due to stiffness 6 weeks after surgery is this normal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, hoping to get advice with regards to my ankle.

I rolled my ankle which caused me to break my fibula and also move my ankle slightly. To fix it, I had surgery a tubular plate and 6 screws. I was put into a walking boot and was allowed to weight bear in the boot. For the first 5 weeks in the boot I used my crutches to walk but the last week I was able to walk without the crutches in the boot. I've experienced very little pain, just ache now and again. My last xray shows the bone has healed really well and the doctor told me I dont need any follow ups or physiotherapy, he told me to take the boot off the following week and to start walking. I was very surprised I didn't need physiotherapy and to "just start walking" without the boot scares the life out of me! So in two days will be when the doctor advised me to walk without the boot. I'm concerned to attempt this because my ankle is completely stiff it's as stiff as it was when I broke it. when I try to move it, it doesn't hurt but it feels like something is blocking it from moving. I relaxed my foot and asked my husband to move it with his hands and it just wouldn't move it feels if it was to move properly something would snap. is this because of the screws? is this normal? Is it possible to walk with a completely stiff ankle? Any advice would be great. thanks! File size is too big

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would trust your doctor first and try to walk, if there is a lot of pain or you cant bend or push the right way ( after a day or two of trying) I would call your dr back and explain whats going on. If your not happy with his/her answer then get a new doctor.

• Posted

that's normal for the ankle to be stiff but you will need to have physical therapy. the doctor should have referred you to a therapist or gave you some ankle exercises to rehab you foot and get the mobility back in the ankle. this is something knew to you and it's not anything to take lightly, you could do more harm than good. if you have insurance i would personally go to a therapist to help with your injury

• Posted

Hey Kara86314 it's typical your ankle is stiff after 6 weeks my suggestion is that's what I did go to the internet and go to home physical therapy you can do it at your house. I broke and shatter my ankle the three different places I got two plates with 18 screws and it took a while and been over a year for me and I still get aches and pains on my ankle also I believe it's just the weather but go to the Internet . rotating ankle clockwise and counterclockwise don't overdo it just do like I set one day weighed about one or two days and do two sets of rotations of your ankle try that just don't overdo it I might help but like I said my ankle still aches and pains here and there sometimes I'll I'll be walking with a limp for the rest of my life God bless you take care

• Posted

Hi

I have just been placed in a boot at 7 weeks post surgery , just got out of the cast a week ago.. My ankle is very stiff too. it seems to be okay that it's stiff at this stage. I feel like I have vice grips at each end of my ankle. I'm doing excersises that the hospital gave me. I gave signed up for physio, as I think it's important to get some expert help to get my ankle joint moving again.

PS / I would not feel comfortable walking unaided at this point. I signed up for private pysio, as it's 4 weeks wait on the NHS. I felt that that was too long of a wait for me.

All the best to you. 😊

• Posted

Hi

I have just been placed in a boot at 7 weeks post surgery , just got out of the cast a week ago.. My ankle is very stiff too. it seems to be okay that it's stiff at this stage. I feel like I have vice grips at each end of my ankle. I'm doing excersises that the hospital gave me. I gave signed up for physio, as I think it's important to get some expert help to get my ankle joint moving again.

PS / I would not feel comfortable walking unaided at this point. I signed up for private pysio, as it's 4 weeks wait on the NHS. I felt that that was too long of a wait for me.

All the best to you. 😊

• Posted

Hiya, I'm nine weeks post op and its really ok for your leg to be stiff after 6 weeks...but im surprised your doctor didn't refer you to physio... the stretching exercises they gave me helped loads to unstiffen my ankle and i now have about 60% movement back in mine after just three weeks of stretching. I cant walk without crutches and my boot but i honestly believe the improvement i have had has been mostly due to my physio exercises. I think you could find a copy of the exercises online to do at home a few times a day...getting my husband to help with resistance exercises helped loads to.

good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.