Unable to obtain prolonged release Verapamil

Posted , 3 users are following.

My consultant cardiologist put me on prolonged release Verapamil 3 years ago when I had acute AF. Following a successful cardioversion I was told that I would have to take Verapamil for life. The product that I take is 180mg prolonged release from Univers. This was deemed the best medication for me as I have asthma. I felt rough when I took it initially but now my body accepts it apart from awful constipation. My GP said that in order to change the medication I would have to be closely monitored in hospital which did happen 3 years ago. The problem that I now have is that I am unable to find prolonged release Verapamil anywhere. This has been referred back to my doctor who is due back from holiday on Monday. I run out of my medication Friday next week and go to Namibia for 3 weeks a week later. I am really worried about this and hope that somebody with the same experience can help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Same problem for my father-in-law. Was put onto beta blockers which have caused probs.

anyone know ifthis can be prescribed privately or by any other legitimate means eg prescribed in France or other EU country or privately in the UK?

• Posted

I have had the same problem Univer 120mg prolonged release capsules are no longer avalible.

I had this problem some years ago with half securon but they are back in the chemists again. They are not long release tablets but they are 40mg 3 times a day.

Hope this is of some help to you. I have just got my perscrition today for some

• Posted

Thanks for the replies. In consultation with my original cardiologist, my GP has prescribed half securon 120mg modified release to be taken once a day. The pharmacist told me that prolonged release and modified release are the same thing. Lets hope that this medication remains available. I still have the awful constipation that I had with the Univers and I'm beginning to think that I'm having rather too much nausea but I'll give them time.
  • Posted

managed to get some. just phone around and try a differnet health care trust region. go for the larger pharmacies (ie get a list of local ones that open all hours and are large, maybe atatached to a gp surgery or to a hospital)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.