unable to share festive meals

Posted , 3 users are following.

After a lifetime of difficult digestion I was diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitis 6 years ago. There is considerable calcification of the pancreas & I need to take enzymes whenever I eat. Even with these I am able to eat so little without being ill, no fats or oils, no citrus or acids, the only protein I can manage is plain cooked white fish. No alchohol - I never did drink much, but now not at all. I sometimes feel a bit sorry for myself, especially when there are family gatherings, Xmases & birthdays. I have to sit there sober with a bowl of plain boiled rice. No one has heard of chronic pancreatitis. I wish I had something more commonly understood at least. Is there anyone out there living on this sadly limited diet? I decided to look for a support group & found this. Thankyou

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

CP is a chronic disease but you have to get over the feeling sorry for yourself. There are lots of foods that you can eat. If you are struggling with a diet then request help from a dietitian who understands pancreatitis. Speak to your doctor about it. You need to take enough enzymes and take them at the right time. This way you should be able to manage with about 30gms per day of fat in your food.
    • Posted

I have seen 3 different dieticians none of who seemed to understand or be familiar with pancreatitis. I do understand how & when to take the enzymes. Naturally I am eating a very healthy plain diet. Its just not the same as anyone else's. I had wondered if there was anyone else in the same situation. Apparently not. I had hoped this would be a supportive forum.
    • Posted

You cant say it isn't supportive just because it doesn't agree with you. Experiment with your food but keep a food diary as well to see what upsets you. I don't understand your issues with citus fruit or fibre because they are not usual symptoms of pancreatitis problems. You mention sugar, but unless you are diabetic then there is no issue with it. Explain your issue with your GP to see if they can refer you to a dietitian with pancreas issue knowledge. 
    • Posted

Well Stuart, inability to process acids is a consequence of a severely calcified pancreas. This from my consultant. He also advised me that my gut is distorted from a lifetime of attempting to pass undigested foods, thus to avoid too much fibre as it is painful unless soft fibre. This is why I grow my own veg. Someone else mentioned sugar in the discussion, not I. I responded t do not understand there is a problem with it.I have kept a food diary for long periods, followed up by extensive sessions with dietiticans. I have had this condition all my life, and was diagnosed as a severely calcified pancreas 6 years ago. I know what I can eat without subsequent pain and illness. And yes it's plain, simple and healthy. Just very dull, & puts me outside of the social whirl when it comes to eating with friends. That's all I am saying. 
    • Posted

If the pancreas keeps getting worse diabetes is an eventual outcome. Sugars are key, as in avoiding refined ones. Fruit contains sugars so perhaps that's why she can't handle them. I can but my pancreas isn't that bad.

(Medical disclaimer, I'm just a person who has it)

• Posted

I've no wish to get into a heavy argument and upset you Sue but some of the information that you have been given is incorrect as regards acid foods and sugars. You need to take a second opinion on it from a professional. 

Ps I had half of my pancreas removed in 2007 at The Royal Liverpool because of calcificationand and currently I'm on lots of different medications as the rest of my pancreas packs in. I do help to run a UK based pancreatitis help forum.

• Posted

Sorry Stuart but it's not wrong about acids or sugars. 

'The pancreas maintains the body's blood glucose (sugar) balance. ...aids digestion by stimulating certain cells in the stomach to produce acid.'

• Posted

The pancreas has two functions endocrine and exocrine. The endocrine part is to do with the production of insulin where as the the exocrine part produces enzymes for the digestion of food. With pancreatitis the damage to the endocrine part of the pancreas usually takes place late in the disease as more and more of the pancreas dies. I don't know where you are getting the info about acid foods from.
    • Posted

What is the pancreas' main job description? Saying how it works doesn't say what it does? I already did that. Let it rest from processing sugars and acids if your pancreas is screaming for us to do so. 
  • Posted

I agree with Stuart! On the plain rice at least. It's detrimental to limit your diet so severely. Your pancreas and other organs will be working even harder to get nutrietns to your brain and the rest of your body.

As he said there are plenty of foods you can eat! Research and all the best with it. biggrin

• Posted

I never heard of a pancreas that turned its nose up at vegetables and fruit, fibre, porridge etc, etc. A basic healthy diet.

Sugar is something you probably know to avoid now. You get the good sugars in fruit.

• Posted

Thanks! Well I can't eat any citric fruits, or much fibre. I grow my own veg as soft fibre is OK No one has ever mentioned avoiding sugar. I have seen 3 different dieticians over the last few years, none of whom seemed to know about pancreatitis. I may go & ask the GP for another try.
    • Posted

I've had it for around 12 years and refined sugar is something I really have to avoid. Agave nectar, a plant syrup is good and the supermarket I shop from sells it so it's easy to get.

The pancreas has to work as hard on sugars as it does on alcohol.

• Posted

I am sorry Sue the dialogue on your wish to expand your diet has become silly and you are being given conflicting information which is of no use to you. Please try and obtain advice from a dietitian with knowledge of pancreas diseases. There are lots of foods that you can eat, you just need proper guidance. Best wishes.
    • Posted

You said you're on meds for it; I've managed to avoid them! With learning about diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.