Unable to sleep

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started taking Mirtazapine 15mg - in fact I've only taken 5 doses so far.

I was told it might help with sleeping, but it's doing the opposite. I take it in the evening between about 9 and 10pm and then toss and turn for the next few hours. I normally fall get to sleep between 2 and 3, but then end up waking up very groggy mid-morning. The worst thing in this is that my feet hurt and I don't seem to be able to keep my legs still.

Tonight it's driving me mad! I want to go to sleep because I'm tired but just can't drop off.

Anyone else suffer from this when they first started taking Mirtazapine?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hii there you could try taking the mirtazapine earlier in the evening to see if it makes any difference to you going off to sleep. Mirtazapines sedative effect is usually only seen in the lower doses. I would head back to your GP or psych who might add something with the mirtazapine or increase the dose and add a sleeping tablet. It is rotton not having a good nights sleep or sleeping fitfully or not getting off to sleep and waking up with dreadful anxiety. I have recently come off mirtazapine as it has helped me. In the early stages I was taking mirtazapine combined with other meds which really knocked me out and left me drowsy during the day. I hope that you begin to feel better soon.
  • Posted

Aching limbs and trembling legs are both side effects of mirtazapine.
  • Posted

Hi Pooh bear - thanks for replying. I'm taking tonight's dose earlier to see if it works. I'm seeing the GP on Wednesday so will talk about this further.

All the best to you.

• Posted

Hi there, this could be restless leg syndrome, i had similar experience when my dosage was increased i could not sleep and my legs would fidget beyond my control. I would certainly ask your doctor about this x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.