Unable to sleep

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I’m 17 and a male and haven’t had sleeping problems before. Until Sunday, when I was basically closing my eyes shut for hours and hours, not realising I was awake the whole time. Trying to sleep and opening my eyes at 3:00 am.

I don’t know if it’s because I knew school was the next day, or that whenever I tried to sleep from, I think about not trying to sleep instead (maybe ocd)

I am stressful at times with work overload, and have chronic conditions such as pseurusis and ibs, it seems like my life has just been getting all these negative conditions I’m just sick of sad

It continues to this day, my eyes are burning and I’m getting tired more.. I just want  to rest. I feel extremely tired in the day, and still can’t sleep. And not tired at night anymore.

What will happen if my eyes don’t get rest? I’m scared 😟 

If anyone can help it would be appreciated PLEASE!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jonathan,

The answer to that final question is: nothing at all! Nothing will happen to you if your eyes don't rest, so there's no need to be scared.

We all go through periods where we don't sleep well. I'm afraid it's part of adult life. People can go on for years with poor sleep. I was one of them. It can make you feel very tired, but nothing bad happens and life goes on. Think about parents with young children. They often put up with years of poor sleep, don't they?

This will sort itself out over the next few weeks. However, you could help things along with a few lifestyle changes. All the obvious ones, like getting enough exercise during the day, and avoiding coffee, Coke and energy drinks after midday. On second thoughts, can we make that last one "avoiding energy drinks full stop". No one actually needs this kind of rubbish in their diet.

The next one is going to be hard for someone of your age, but it would also help if you didn't play on your phone for the last hour before going to sleep. If at all possible, switch it off or leave it in another room. The sky won't fall if you don't check your social media status for eight hours.

I know how upsetting it is when you're lying there for hours waiting for sleep and worrying about the next day. I've been there myself many times. But trust me - it really won't harm you.

• Posted

Thankyou lilly, i feel a bit relieved now smile as its a first time issue, it does scare me, and it seems like my eyes are going to come out of my socket, i literally close my eyes, opening my eyes say at 3 to 4 am, realising i havnt slept the whole time.

But yes, i will try those routines for a few weeks, glad its not serious.

Thankyou again

• Posted

Actually Jonathan, I rather doubt that you're not sleeping at all. I'm not calling you a liar, but it's quite easy to think you haven't slept when you have, especially if you're a bit anxious about it. Quite often, if you test someone who feels they're not sleeping at all in a sleep lab, it emerges that they are in fact sleeping for quite a lot of the time!

It's clear that you are going through a phase of poor sleep, but I honestly suspect it's not quite as bad as you think.

• Posted

Yes that may be the case lilly, as i have been anxious at this time. So you think it might just be not enough sleep thats causing the eye issue and tiredness? It is a possiblility, but i hope its true that im sleeping lol

• Posted

Not getting enough sleep will inevitably cause tiredness and eye discomfort. Why not try the lifestyle improvements for a few weeks and see how it goes? Improving your sleep can take a while once anxiety has set in, but things generally get better if given enough time.
    • Posted

Okay, I will definitely try those lifestyle improvements, which hopefully helps as time goes.

Thanks again 🙏🏼

• Posted

Lily must be right Jonathan! I had and still sometimes (once max twice a week) have this 'pseudo'-problem. Last night, I went to bed at 2am and would bet that I didn't sleep properly or barely anything until 6.30am, then woke up at 10am and thought this is going to be a horrible day full of tiredness. I admit I don't feel my best and I am a bit tired, but I can function just fine and don't have any bad headache or anything else! I think that this 'catnapping' has some reasonable restorative effects. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.