Unable to straighten

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Does anyone have any foolproof ways of straightening the leg after TKR? 

I'm 5 week. +4  days and still walking like a chicken! 

Bend is good about 120 but straight is stuck @ 10 

I've tried all the recommended physio plus a few i made up and I'm still having problems.

i have 6 flights of stairs to get down which is ok (don't like the clicking my knee makes though) and then a hobble along the roa. With  cane. I long to walk properly now! 

the top of my knee seems to be stopping the knee straightening when standing (that's where the tightness is) 

wheni  walk the knee is unbearably tight despite icing, heat  and massage. Glad for any ideas as i need to get OUT! rolleyes

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm the opposite suzi I struggle getting a bend when lying down yet I can bend like the other when sat up. I can put my leg straight lying down, is this what you struggle with? 

Christine TKR 3 weeks 2 days

• Posted

What have we let ourselves in for! Lol

Lying down my knee seems to straighten ok and I'm working on strengthening the leg muscles but when standing it just will not straighten! So i can't walk properly! It just seems too tight! 

One  thing helping me with bending is to wrap a scarf around the ankle and gently pull towards me. 

When laying on the bed or,  when standing pull it up behind me. 

smile 

• Posted

I had some trouble straightening but it wouldn't straighten when lying down. Sounds like your problem might be weakness in your quad muscles? Can you pedal on an exercise bike? Or do squats perhaps? 
    • Posted

Really mm I'll try - you could be right. I don't have a lot of strength there 

My muscle tone in that leg is quite poor compared to the other. 

• Posted

I don't know for sure - only wondering, as you say you can straighten it lying down. 
  • Posted

Bless you heat.  Take a sheet. Rap around foot and hold with hands and lift straight like 10 times. Then rest. That's what I did. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.