Unable to swallow

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the last week I have been unable to eat food properly.  I have the feeling something is stuck in my throat.  I have had an X-ray in emergency dept that showed no blockages - I am able to eat blended soups and very smooth food.  I have an ENT appt next week though unable to eat properly now :-( When I swallow feels like I have very thick saliva - am trying lansoprazole medication to see if that helps - anyone with similar symptoms in the past?  I am female 45yrs do not smoke or drink and not oversight (maybe I should start!!) Thanks in advance 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

its very common with anxiety im afraid, as hard as it is to believe. i have suffered for years with it, i know its very distressing. like you ive been to ent, had scopes and ultrasound - all clear, its just pure anxiety affecting the muscles.  dealing with the anxiety is the only treatment, there are no medications which will help as psyically there is nothing wrong.
  • Posted

This is an all to common accurance as far as anxiety goes , I have acid reflux issues as well , I get that same lump in the throat sensation, always clearing my throat constantly coughing sometimes and often I get horrible chest pains along with upper back pain , went to my doc about this did full X-rays , front ,back , sideways you name it , ekg , stress tests along with a few other tests .... all clear

Anxiety def plays a major role in how you feel and how your body reacts .

• Posted

Hi, I also have this. Went to ENT said my esophagus is red and very inflamed due to acid reflux/gerd. Ive completely changed my diet, take Tums, Gavison. Tried Zantac but it made it worse! Im at a complete loss as to what is causing it! Started in Oct/Nov when I had crazy Post Nasal Drip out of no where! My Gastro appt is on Monday. Im hoping for some answers!!! Keep in touch and I will also update smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.