UNABLE TO TOLERATE MOVIPREP AND VOMITING?..IN PREPERATION FOR COLONOSCOPY

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi...having had bowel cancer twice..i think I am a bit of a veteran when it comes to colonoscopies...having had about 6 over the past 10 years. I should know the answer to this question but I`ll ask it anyway!. In my previous colonoscopies I have always been given picolax as the prep. Only once 2 years ago did I vomit some the picolax solution back up..i think it was the 2l of water rather than the picolax. Having said that the colonoscopy went  ahead with no problems and my bowel was clear and clean. This time for my colonoscopy I have been given MOVIPREP..and as usual I haveto drink plenty of water including 2l on the morning of the colonoscopy. My QUESTION is if I do vomit some of the moviprep solution back up will that interfere with the colonoscopy very much? What makes me laugh is that in the hospital instruction it says "if you cannot tolerate the moviprep solution and vomit contact the endoscopy clinic immediately" BUT it is impossible to contact them by phone as it took 2 DAYS to get through to them by phone to arrange my apt for this colonoscopy..and the same thing 2 years ago!...thanks for any advice...

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I had the same issue and my doctor at the time said they will give me pills to keep it down. I said no. Instead I went to a different doctor who would allow me to use Miralax with gatorade. Miralax is propolene glycol and it tastes sweet and is easy to keep down. I would ask your doctor about it, most have more than one prep for those who don't do well on one of them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.