Unacceptable side effects of Levothyroxine

Posted , 191 users are following.

I was described Levothryoxine 2 years ago and my GP has increased it until I am now taking 125mcg.I have never had so many various symptoms in my life - severe weight gain including puffy face and eyes, very itchy dry skin, brittle nails, thinning hair but the major items are the pains in my joints and muscles - especially in my knees and my hands. The doctor said I have carpal tunnel syndrome and also now have high cholesterol,,,,,,, When reading other peoples' experiences it would appear that many people have all of these symptoms so why is it that GP's do not take this illness more seriously. I recently asked if I could have a full blood showing all readings and also if I could be prescribed Armour and was told no. It also scared me to find that several pharmacists in major chemists haad never even heard of Armour. Has anyone felt like they have had enough and just stopped taking Levothyroxine and what was the result?

41 likes, 1182 replies

1182 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

I have high blood pressure as well as hypothyroidism however the BP was diagnosed before I went on thyroxine. What may be of interest is that since I have been on thyroid medication the BP has gone up and up and now I take 3 different drugs for BP. I have made many lifestyle changes to reduce the BP but with no improvement.

• Posted

Hi Cobweb, the problem of high BP is a problem I have just started to study. I have spent 3 gruelling months exercising an hour a day to get my BP down via weight loss. I am not very enthused by my results, I think the bases for weight loss while on thyroid meds is to crank up the T3 so that you boost your metabolism, lose weight and therefore reduce BP. 

Like I said, I am in the middle of this study and will report back here as soon as I have a result. But yes, on thyroid meds your BP will go up.

• Posted

Hi I'm wondering how your blood pressure is..how about cholestoral?  Mine went sky high after I started taking levo...I'm seriously starting to consider getting off this medicine since I thought I had perfect health before I started going to the doc..I only went in for a check up since I finally got  health insurance

• Posted

Hi, my BP sky rocketed whilst taking T3 on a medication change that involved reducing T4 and increasing T3 to a point where no T4 taken and only T3. I downloaded an app onto my phone and bought a BP monitor to keep track of the BP the whole time. During the course of the change over my BP went over 200/115 and put me in hospital. I gave up the T3 altogether and am back on T4 only and slowly my systolic is coming down but my diastolic seems to be stuck in high and is only coming down slowly with the aide of diuretics. Having levothyroxine and/or liothyronine has caused havoc with my body and a failing NHS system is not helping.
    • Posted

Try ThyroGold. At this point, the high T3 you've been taking is probably triggering high rT3, so whatever you do, you'll need to give your body time to adjust. 

The ThyroGold is good because the mix of T3/T4 is as close to natural as you're going to get.  I've got my mom on it and it seems to be the best so far that she's been on.

• Posted

My Dr. says it takes about 4 weeks for the Synthroid to completely leave the system, so I have to wait.  Still sweating and overheating, but not as bad as two weeks ago.  
    • Posted

I seem to be a bit different. I have always had low blood pressure and it didn't change when I went on thyroxine. Though I didn't lose weight on thyroxine. I started to lose weight 2.5 years ago when I became allergic/intolerant to lots of foods. Living on a diet of chicken, carrots, brocolli, kale and cabbage for every meal resulted in a steady weight loss of one pound a week. Which isn't surprising really - I got fed up with eating the same food and it's certainly not something one eats for 'comfort' food! Then in June 2014 I went onto ThyroGold, being really careful to increase it slowly every couple of weeks, like the website advises. I wish I'd found this med (sorry, 'nutritional supplement'wink years ago. Don't be misled, it is a form of NDT (natural desiccated thyroid) despite its nutritional supplement label. Suffice to say that although the NHS has been brilliant and has finally found a form of thyroxine I can take (TEVA liquid thyroxine) which I would get free, I haven't switched away from ThyroGold which I have to buy myself at a cost of about £1 a day. Note, I also tried naturethroid (made me swell up) and WP Thyroid (made me itch). We're all different and in the end you have to find what works for you.

• Posted

I used a bovine glandular for a yeas after the levo. I could smell the levo coming out of my system for nearly six months. After a year on the glandular, I went off completely and onto amino acids. You guessed it, more detoxing. I swear the stuff gets stored up in the thyroid gland!
    • Posted

My GP has made me refer back to my consultant to get liquid Teva because they don't want to pay for it themselves. I have a lettwr from the Trust who authorize meds with GPs that this is the case however, they also srate rhat of the lady needs medication we must not refuse it!!!!!

• Posted

OMG.thats insane. Pretty much the LAST thing anyone with thyroid disease needs, is a battle for treatment and medication. I finically just ditched the meds and implemented a nutrition and supplement regimen. 

My motheris on ThyroGold because she's had her thyroid removed. Much easier to just pay for it and stop fighting s crazy system.

• Posted

I'm not able to take either T3 or Levothyroxin as the side effects I am getting from both are too extreme.   At present I am not on any prescribed medication at all and waiting for the chemist to get back to me as they have asked the manuafcturer of the T3 to try and find out what I am reacting to given my long list of symptoms, then my Doctor is going to try and find out if they can manufacturer it without whatever it is I am reacting to.   I still think it's whatever they use to reduce it to tablet form as I have reacted to other medication but am OK with liquid or injection form.   I am hoping they may take this seriously and finally give me the liquid for of Levo to try,  In the meantime I wait and wait....

• Posted

I have an appointment in the next month or so with the Endocrinologist, I am going to ask my GP to write to him and explain that I have MDIS, Multiple Drug Intolerance Syndrome, as I am intollerant to a number of drugs now.   So yes I am thinking myself that's what they will do as the GP i initially asked to put me on the liquid, told me bluntly that it was too dear and would cost them £300 a month!!!!!   Obviously it doesn't matter what I have had to pay out trying to keep going myself.

• Posted

As I said I think it's worth being referred to a consultant and get the hospital where that consultant is based to pay the bill.

• Posted

Rosie, are you allergic to Corn (US name is Maize)? It's in all synthetic thyroid meds. I'm intolerant to corn and it's in everything even some sugar is refined using corn. Look on AllergyUK website. There's another good site I found using a google search, something like 'what is corn in'.

• Posted

Trouble is, we have to pay VAT on stuff we order from the states (e.g. ThyroGold) that's over £15. This adds 20% plus a handling charge of a minimum of £6 to the cost. Plus the exchange rate plummeted after the vote to leave the EU on 23 June 2016. I now get £1.18 to the $ not £1.50. Ouch.

• Posted

I was wondering if you know of a reputable website that would help me to understand where my numbers are regarding my thyroid test.
    • Posted

You don't seem to have private messaging turned on. Try tpauk

• Posted

In Facebook there are private pages for thyroid or hashimotos patients. FTPO (for thyroid patients only). The admins know so much and are so helpful.
    • Posted

Hi Flippin, I tried responding to your pm, but you rpm feature is apparently turned off. Try turning it on so I can send you a message.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.