unbearable pain......

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm new to this forum but feel I need some help and support on this with others that have the same pain. So thank you in advance ☺️

Ive been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia since January this year, a short time I know but really can't control the pain my doc has put me on pregablin 200g per day and codine when needed. 

This week I had a wisdom tooth taken out and it's flared up more help 🙊😟 please is there anything else I can do. I'm getting electric shocks all down my right side none stop !!!!! 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi  I am really sorry to hear you are going through this but please see a neurologist or maxillo facial and oral surgeon. Everyone's case is different. I saw a neurologist and an mri was done but it came back clear. I visited many dentists who said my cause was not dental until one dentist noticed that an xray of the area showed the nerve in my jaw being compacted by my wisdom tooth. he refered me to a maxillo facial and oral surgeon who told me that he was 99% sure that my neuralgia was being caused by my tooth compressing on the nerve. I was getting such bad attacks that i was losing weight from not being able to eat that i took the option to have the tooth removed. With a week i was able to get off tegretol and be medication free which is something i could never do before. I was advised that my attacks would be back until the nerve is healed completely. the attacks came back once 6 months after my oral surgery but the attacks were not bad and it didn't last very long. It has since gone away again and it's been six months being attack free. It's almost a year since i had the surgery. I knew it was my tooth even though no dentist believed me. I only got attacks when i spoke or chewed. Nothing like touching, cold breeze etc triggered it which is typical for TN sufferers. Even my surgeon found that to be weird. But always get 3rd and 4th opinions and i hope it works out for you. Tegretol is really effective for TN.  
  • Posted

Hi HEV1976

We understand your situation and unfortunately there is no 'one fits all' solution.

I am on 100 of Lyrica three/our times a day (I think this is the same as pregabin but that is for my headaches and not so much the face pain.

Then I am on 600 of  oxcarbazepine (OX-kar-BAZ-e-peen) three or four times a day for the face pain.

I started at the top and we (GP and I) kept reducung/increasing till we found the happy medium. The Lyrica at 200 three times a day created a new Zombie so we got that dfown as soon as we could.

You need to work with your GP on this. RESEARCH-RESEARCH-RESEARCH is the answer and then be FIRM (not argumentative) with your GP to find the right combination of medication.

Codine would not touch my issues but it did a great job of constipating me!

Tramadol is great for short term pain relief but it is addictive so use it sparingly of you get to have it.

OK.. look at this and other forums, discard what YOU feel is rubbish and take the rest to your GP and ASK for a better solution. If that fails ask to change GP's!

Good Luck

Baudy!

Apologies for any typos .. still training this keyboard to spell!!!!!

• Posted

Hi,

I believe the usual protocol is to diagnose, the provide initial medication and make and appointment for the patient with a Neurologist. The Neurologist will confirm the diagnosis (or not) then will give advice as to how to progress with that or another medication which generally is increased in dose very very slowly until pain relief is obtained. Please ask your GP for an immediate referral to a neurologist as a GP is not generally qualified to manage Trigeminal Neuralgia without a neurologists oversight. 200mg sounds like a starting dose which should have been followed up long before now I would have thought. Please see a doctor as soon as you can bear to go and insist that you be given a neurologist referral. In the meantime, if the pain becomes unbearable, try the emergency department of your nearest hospital and start by saying that you have been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia which usually gets the attention of the staff there. please keep in touch with us if you wish. I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi Valkyrie,

I always like and agree with your submissions. What is that image you've chosen for yourself ?

eddie13 USA

• Posted

Hi, Eddie, It's a Valkyrie. I also belong to a Forum for sufferers of TN in Australia and they refer to themselves sometimes as Warriors who carry on and try to take care of their families despite the pain. I liked the idea of that because it helps me get through the tough times. I did like my previous one better, though as it was a pink fairy who said: don't let other discourage you, just fluff out your tutu, and dance away" I may change it back sometime
  • Posted

Is the pain just in your right side of face or body?  It sounds like you need a higher dose of medication.  I would go back to your Doctor. You should also be taking meds regularly and not as needed.
  • Posted

Hello again, well what a week it's been... I would just like to thank you all for your feedback it's helped me so much. Your all very supportive 👍

Well since my 1st post I've had a second apinion from another doctor who has put we on metronidazole and amitriplyline and also referred me to a max facial clinic .... So fingers crossed I will get there. I've been signed off work for another week too 

• Posted

Has this ever been classed as a disability, my worry is its affecting my work having time off ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.