Unbearable pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

i had shingles 7 weeks ago.  I never got the blisters, just the rash.  It started on my back and spread around my right side into Mtn armpit (the most painful) and all over my right breast.  Seems like the pain is getting worse every day.  Can't stand wearing clothes  on top.  I take pain pills.  The hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5-325.  Doesn't even touch it.  Tried the lidocaine patches but after a few days it burned.  Anyway they don't cover enough.  I just started on Lyrica 25mg 3 times a day.  Maybe I could increase that?  Will check with doc.  Anyway, any more suggestions would be appreciated.  I have never been so miserable.  Can't leave home cause wearing clothes hurts too much. I still have the red rash also.  Will this ever end?  Do you think the Tramadol might work better with the Lyrica?  Also, I tried the Capasaicin once and it burned terribly.  Should I try that again and suffer thru the initial burn?  The only relief has been cold cloths.  Anyone had relief from topical creams?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lyrica is a nerve block and it functions differently than pain meds.  I take both.  That is also a low dose of Lyrica from what I have gleaned around my pain clinic.  I take 400 mg per day in four doses, as well as narcotic pain meds, and now a synthetic cannabinoid.  You may have to try various combinations of things to achieve some degree of function.  I have learned that everyone has pain, but pain + negative thoughts = suffering.   So focusing on "will this ever end" may actually increase your pain.  Take it one day at a time.  See if there is a mindfulness class at your hospital to help you cope mentally with this.  It may take a long time to get some relief.  It is more than a year now for me.  But this is the best I have felt in a long long time, now.  Don't give up!  

• Posted

Thank you.  I will talk to my doc about increasing the Lyrica.  Also will take your advice and try to develop a more positive attitude.  It's not easy!  I hate taking pain meds but am starting again on the hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5-325.  Your advice to try combinations is good.  

• Posted

Hi Ruth...

So sorry to hear of your pain. I had it 12 months ago and nothing anyone said or did or suggested was a cure; now, however, it's eased so much. I can only encourage you to be patient, to tolerate, and to keep on with those cold presses, if that's what helps. Calomine lotion worked for me; internally, I took Llysine from a health store (it's a herbal treatment for coldsores / exczema, but worked well for the clearing up of the virus inside), and chlorophyll, the green liquid. I used cold packs and the calomine, I'm fortunate that I don't work and would practically go into meltdown when I would read of people having to suffer thru normal activities. But honestly, I wouldn't waste time, money, and frustration going thru all the suggestions everyone makes, because from what I can see there's no cure, just time and giving the body health from the inside, and letting it take it's course...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.