Unbearable sciatic pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

About a week and half ago I had to go to the ER due to my lower back causing me excruciating pain and symptoms I've never experienced before. The ER did a MRI of my back and my L3-L4 have slightly bulged discs and L5 is completely bulged. My discs are causing my sciatic nerve to become completely irritated and cause me severe pain. For the past 10 days now the pain is becoming increasingly worse and more intense. I've looked up and tried a bunch of exercises and remedies to no avail and take different NSAIDs to help along with Gabapentin. I can't see my primary care doctor til the 3rd of Feb so I have no stronger meds for the pain. I don't know what the hell to do because the pain is sooooo bad and has caused me to miss work among other things. It's also affecting my sleep where I'm barely getting any due to the pain and being so uncomfortable. Does anyone know any ways that help relieve the pain? I've tried heating pads, icing the area, stretch/exercises, moving around and so on. Just curious what helps you!?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello. You can see any doctor usually if you ask for emergency appointment. If they are unable to see you go to A &E they will both prescribe stringer med as there are stronger ones to help with pain. I always prefer natural ways but at this point take what's available until it gets prefer. In the meantime take paracetamol and cocodamol they can be taken alongside gabapentin and NSAIDs. But always check with pharmacist. You can dial 111 and get help over the phone what meds can be taken together and where to go with your pain.

I would also advise against exercises unless very gentle along with a lot of stretching.

Another idea that helped me is to up the dose of Gabapentin check the leaflet. I remember 100mg hardly helped but 200mg made a difference I think you can even take 300mg. Check leaflet and doubke check with 111. How much NSAIDS you take and which one?

Don't suffer it will exhaust you and you will only be able to do less and less and start to get affected mentally etc

• Posted

Pls ignore mistakes. It's late and I'm using my phone. Hope it helps.
    • Posted

I'm on Gabapentin but thats it. I'm sorry some of the stuff your mentioning I don't understand. I'm in the US, are you in the UK?
  • Posted

Why were you not admitted as an inpatient when you went to the ER MissNik88? I was in the same situation and was admitted. Sorry to break this to you but you probably  need surgery.Do you have any numbness in your legs and feet?
    • Posted

Honestly I don't know. The ER was overcrowded, I didn't even have a room. I laid on a stretcher in the hall w/ zero privacy. They did the MRI, gave me pain shot and discharged me. I didn't even know I had sciatica till I read the MRI report. The doctor was an idiot and didn't help me at all. I don't know what to do because its getting worse.
    • Posted

Oh I do have numbness in my legs and feet!
  • Posted

Hi missnik88

Im suffering from this now and i have posted a question o the sciatica forum too. Im in pain and have missed 8 days work so far . I got signed off by gp from work . How about you ? I am in so much pain and a lot of tablets . I do sympathise with you . A lot of people who have not had it dont understand the pain. I know what your going through. Have you asked for Psysio from GP. You have to start moving much as possible which helped me a bit . Also a got water bottle does work as well . How long have you had it now coz im on the 11th day and very little imrovemnt . The tablets work for a bit and then at night and morning its worse . I feel sick to even eat and constantly tired . I wonder if Pysio will help ? Its worth a try . Hope you get better soon .

• Posted

Sorry about the typo? Im in pain as i type .
    • Posted

No I'm still working. I can't afford to take any time off and I don't have a gp to do that. I just suffer through the pain 24/7. I'm going on day 11 and its just getting worse so I'm the same as you. Your totally right because its hard for people to understand and sympathize. My coworkers don't even understand or know how bad this is because I mask the pain and lie when they ask me. I don't want them to know and baby me. My biggest issue is I have no insurance so I can't afford to take time off or see a doctor thats expensive, this whole thing just sucks because I'm a mess. I do take Gabapentin but I dont notice it helping, maybe it is but my pain is so bad I just dont see a difference!? Thanks for the help! I hope you too get better soon! 
  • Posted

Hello, yes sorry my reply was very UK specific. But the point it there ARE stronger medications to ease your pain but you do need to go to the doctor, if the pain is increasing it will probably not go away very quickly, so you need to know what`s going on. Most importantly you need to know those specific exercises and stretches that will help your bidy heal itself it it`s not that bad. The fact that your pain is that intense does NOT mean you definitely need a surgery, it could be that your body`s initial natural response the disc herniation makes the pain more intense, the  inflammation and the muscles contraction, once it settles, you may get a relief and even complete cure.

Remember that intense pain is from the disc (plus muscles, and inflammation pressing on the sciatic nerve)m it onlt needs to move away from it maybe just a few milimetres and your pain will go hopefully. The fact that you feel numbness is not a very good sign though it means there is a lot of pressure on the nerve. Read about it and watch some videos, the more you understand the more you can help to heal yourself. You need to know the danger sign as well, and sometimes you have no choice but to sacrifice money and time in order to live a healthy and happy life. 

Google spine-health herniated disc video. I would love to send you the file I received from the hospital`s pilates classes, it is great,.

Try to google: 

hasan tahir core stability, a pdf should come up, I am sure you will find it useful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.