Unbearable throat and ear pain after endoscopy

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had an endoscopy procedure done 4 days ago and was told that I would experience mild throat pain for up to 24 hours. However it had now been 4 days and I cannot eat/drink hot or cold foods/drinks without crying in pain. My uvular has expanded to nearly double its size and half if it has turned white. When i do try to eat, it feels like I am swallowing glass! I rang my nurse up who advised me to go to my GP. My GP gave me throat spray and paracetamol which has not helped at all. I don't know what to do, the pain is becoming unbearable and I am STARVING! Has anybody else ever experienced this!?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Im in that boat right now, i had an endoscopy on Tuesday and im in a lot of pain , my uvula is swollen and its almost like ive been burnt in my throat.

• Edited

Hey all,

I know it's been awhile since anyone has replied to this but I wanted to post because I found this forum after undergoing the same symptoms.

It's been 6 days since my EGD and I'm finally feeling normal again. The first thing I said coming out of the procedure is "what should I do about the swelling or soreness?". I was half out of it but I just knew things didn't feel great. Their response was, "There shouldn't be swelling. But for soreness, saltwater rinse". (As a preface I'm a medical SLP, so I do have some background in this area) My uvula was black and blue and I had abrasions on my R faucial pillar. While I was uncomfortable, I expected as much being petite like I am. And knowing that the discomfort would go away helped. It wasn't until the third day I started noticing this terrible R ear pain and anything in my mouth would send these shooting sensations to my ear, or my hard palate, or my tongue. Probably the worst pain I’ve ever had. I was concerned because it was new, and definitely worse than before. When I called my doctor on the 5th day, the front desk staff told me the doctor didnt think it was related and prescribed me nystatin! I couldnt believe that. It wasn’t as if I had thrush, and there was no reasoning for the prescription he gave me?! Did he think it was an ear infection or an oral infection? The staff couldn’t give me an answer.

My suspicion in our cases is that the doctor hit a nerve. If you look at a picture of where the facial nerve runs, it hits all those areas. My best friend who’s a doctor hypothesized this, and I feel like it makes the most sense. All those sensations I was having were so strong, but everywhere in my mouth including my R ear. Good news is, if this is true, things should get better in time. It’s possible the nerve is just aggravated and inflamed.

• Posted

Hi Iv had a gastroscopy done this morning with throat spray but since iv had a dull ache inside since and the odd sharp twinge and feeling sick no throat pain but since whenever I eat my ear is literally screaming iv had infections etc before but nothing like this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.