Unclear Diagnosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi , I have been a long term haemorrhoid sufferer , for the last 18months my symptoms have got worse , mainly visible blood on my stools , and of late , blood in the pan after going to the toilet .

When this first kicked in 18months ago , I visited my GP who referred me to a Colorectal Surgeon , he initially carried out a flexible sigmoidoscopy, discovered a patch of inflammation . Following this , my symptoms got worse , heavier bleeding , a full Colonoscopy was done & I was advised that it was not a surgical matter and got referred to a Gastroenterologist. He put me on 12 Azacol tablets a day , the symptoms mildly improved , but not totally , he then tried m on Prednisalone , which had no effect . He then did another Colonoscopy, which revealed a large area of inflammation on one part of my bowel , took 14 biopsies & put me on 2 lots of antibiotics. Again , following the Colonoscopy my symptoms worsened . 

When I went back to the Gastroenterologist , he admitted a clear diagnosis was not clear , as I have no pain , weight loss or diahhrea , I just get blood when going to the toilet .

The Gastroenterologist spoke with my Colorectal Surgeon again , who now says , this could all be down to Haemmerhoids and wants to perform surgery .

i have said I don’t want surgery only to find that this is not Haemmerhoids but something else .

Has anyone experienced anything similar ?

thanks in advance 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

With my early symptoms i had an awful lot of blood, as you describe. Although I didn’t have diarrhoea (as I loose stools) I was going to the toilet around 6-10 times a day.  At that time I had Proctosis which is Ulcerative Colitis in the very lower part of the bowel. 

Hope this helps. 

R

• Posted

Thank you Ruth , my affected part is lower too , what meds are you on ? And do they work ?

• Posted

Dear brickman, all I can say if the road you described is well traveledsad and very much exactly the same down to every detail for most folks..

Too much to tell you, what worked for me wasn't just medicine or natural fixes, it was both, but implementing them by thinking outside the box. Check out the mycolitiscure domain and I wish you positive vibes, keep your chin up, and believe me I know the pain of hemmoroids, sucks big-time, like a rubber band cinched. Take care, FYI, healingwell domain is controlled by big pharma trolls

• Posted

Ask your dr to prescribe Cortenema 100% cortasone. Have taken these for 30 days now and within 7 days all blood is gone. Have not seen a trace of blood for the month. Now doing them every 3 days and successful. Also my dr prescribed a drug called 6mp (think that’s the name) my symptoms have all but disappeared. I’m also taking CBD tincture oil. 8 drops in A.m.  I think the combination of these things along with 8 pills of Balsalizide has finally proven effective. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Toby , appreciate the reply , where are you based ? I’m in UK , and not heard of these meds but I can ask . It was also mentioned about a drug called Azathioprine , but , apparently it paralyses your immune system & can make you prone to various cancers , this drug , I obviously do not want to risk ! 

• Posted

Hi Bricklayer, 

I guess the surgery they have advised is for the haemorrhoids as you can’t go on losing blood & that would eliminate that as a cause. Do you know where abouts the inflammation in your bowel was? Near the rectum? If you’re slightly constipation bowel could be aggravated by that. At least nothing sinister found. Have they ever suggested suppositories to calm the area? 

• Posted

Hi , yes , you exactly right ! It was initially thought this was due to ulcerative Colitis , diverticulitis, but now , having had 3 Colonoscopy’s its not ‘ clear ‘ as biopsies revealed ‘ no active inflammation ‘ which seems bizarre !

So looks like Haemmerhoidectomy , here I come sad( , I use suppositories regularly for the hem issue !

Appreciate your reply !

• Posted

Hi Bricklayer

I have Proctitis,symptoms very similar to yours..I was prescribed Pentasa suppositories(i didn't want oral drugs)which I still use..it does relieve symptoms a lot and now only use when needed usually 1wk out of 4...it's not curable I'm told but is manageable so that symptoms can clear for several weeks at a time in my experience.

• Posted

Hi Heather ! 

I just use Scheriproct suppositories for piles , not been told about any others for this ? I’ll try anything ( within reason ! ) 

Like you , not keen on oral tablets , and one has been mentioned that paralyses your immune system but also makes u prone to various cancers , so I’d not want that one at all !

Thanks for reply !

• Posted

Yes I have heard horror stories about oral medication for this also!

I have bleeding piles too but only been prescribed Pentasa for my Proctitis and it has reduced bleeding from them to frequently nil..ask your doc for suppositories as they do have them and they certainly work for me!..cheers and good luck ☺

• Posted

Get off all meds, get mesalamine enemas, try to keep it in overnight, then try to keep 2 in overnight, then 2 and one in the morning, administer enemas in bed not bathroom, put trashcan near bed for used enema, put towel down on bed just in case, put hips on 2 pillows to use gravity, extra line is fine, yes it may be uncomfortable after administering, just lie there and relax for 30 min and any uneasy feeling will go away, go to sleep

If mesalamine enemas show symptom improvement, then don't stop just because symptoms went away and enemas aren't as easy as taking a pill

Remove red meat from diet, cured meats, fried foods, dairy, refined sugar (use honey in your coffee instead), if you eat something that messes you up then now you know one of your food allergies, listen to your body

Eat soft foods, avacado, berries, eggs, fish salmon or white fishes

Reduce fiber Intake to let your system have some.time to heal

Eat a minimum of 3 coconut milk yogurts a day found at the Joe

Drink coconut water non flavored, keep in fridge and point over iceakes it the sweetest, try to shoot for a liter a day, you can get it cheapest at the warehouse stores

Take a sip a day of inner-eco coconut water that is a LIVE probiotic, DO NOT SHAKE BOTTLE!

Do all this for a minimum of a year and keep doing what you think after that

Stop stressing about things if you can

I am 3 years in remission, and still drink 1/2 liter coconut water a day, no red meat, not reall you any refined sugar, no cured meats, and still use inner-eco

All of this was shown to me by my maker and I am happy to pass it on

You can also use mesalamine suppositories the enemas, the key is to hit all the inflamed/traumatized parts

Peace

• Posted

Hi !

Many thanks for all the info ? Where do you get the mesalamine enemas from ? Is it your doctor ?  

• Posted

Hi bricklayer,

sorry about the typos last reply was from cell phone

pour coconut water from fridge over ice for sweeter tasting, it may take some getting used too but once you do, it will taste fine

I want to stress I did all the meds out there, even enemas, but it was a cortisteroid enema not the mesalamine

the enemas took out like all my symptoms almost right away once you are able to keep it in overnight, then I ate some red meat, and bam instantly red blood, I still didn't get the message, did some more enemas, all better, than happened to eat some red meat, and bam red blood, so for me I figured out what was keeping the UC active...coincidentally I was eating a lot of rib eyes when my proctitis and hemis progressed to UC, I also had a lot of unmanaged stress, and strained A LOT on the toilet....SID ENOTE, GET YOURSELF SOME FLUSHABLE WIPES, YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK TO TPsmile TP IS FOR CAVEMENsmile

sure I tried all the natural capsule probiotics and diets etc, non pasteurized milk from the farm.. but until you find something that takes away the symptoms then all the rest is moot

once I figure that out, I just happened to think about the scene in cast away when tom hanks says all the coconut water was a laxativesmile well don't worry about that, you are drinking it for the inflammatory properties, and hit it hard, your intestines are traumatized and wounded, and just think about it, what if you had a scab that got rubbed off every day, do you think it would heal? doubtful...and you use your intestines daily...so back off all the whole grains etc.. hydrate, hydrate, hydrate

i know I am all over the place but I am just typing as it comes to my mind to hopefully help you

get the enemas from your Gastrentologist, I used perrigo (generic from israel)...some folks say there is about 6% chance of being allergic to mesalamine, so google the symptoms of allergic, and then maybe just push a little into you 1st to see if any of the allergic symptoms arise...if not, then push forward....if the dr says no he wants to try something else, don't let them push you around, you say no I want to try the mesalamine enemas

my symptoms literally went away maybe after one or 2 nights of keeping it in, I was blown away red blood gone, mucous, gone, trips to bathroom gone..I had tried cortisteroid enemas, no luck, I found out the mesalamine enema one night when I happened to search left sided UC....I may have even tried mesalamine suppositories, I do not know, but it probably just was healing the anus, when I already had UC

I had UC for year or 2, who knows, when you are miserable you lose all track of time...my mother had it, and had colon removedsad  once I figured out it was the red meat that was the main culprit, and then I happened to try the coconut water, then I went coconut crazy and got the coconut milk yogurt, and then I don't even know how I came across the inner-eco live probiotics in coconut water

I then just went hog wild and removed all the usual culprits that I had already tried before my symptoms has lessened before i had found the enemas, I was so happy, it wasn't very hard to remove all the other things....so yeah I maybe has some shredded cheese every once in a while on a chicken taco....they do make coconut milk ice cream, we use almond milk...1st year I stayed away from other hard meats like, pork steak/chop, etc.. I ate a lot of ground turkey thigh, better than the white ground turkey most grocers sell....you can get the ground turkey thigh at the place jeff bezos bought outsmile  maybe 6$lb...its just me, wife, and daughter, so I would have them make me maybe eight 1/2lb packages and freeze then and pull them out for dinners....I did find out maybe in my 2nd year of remission that ground lamb was fine for me...yipee

we do make most things from scratch, not many boxes in our pantry...just kinda think outside of the box...citrus i doubt is good...berries, berries, berries..avacados great

back to the enemas, I would even step my feet up the wall after administering, like a child sometimes does when playing in their bed an bedtimesmile, let the gravity pull that stuff in...if you just have proctitis then maybe you don't have to do that...the enemas should come in like 4 boxes of 7, something like that, so you will have plenty, so why not use them....if the symptoms go away, you will be tempted to say to yourself, I'm ok, and go on your merry way....I did not do that....UC is like a the monster in a scary movie, it always gets back up off the ground....I probably saw symptoms gone in about 3 enemas with a couple of those maybe not staying inside in the beginning....depending on how bad off you are will decide how many times it takes to finally keep it in

I can tell you I still used about 23, just to make sure UC got the 10 count knockoutsmile  sure enemas aren't fun, but neither is UC....I went to costa rica during full UC, brought a rubber water bag with enema attachment to give myself warm enemas, and I was even staying in primitive home in the woods, don't ever want to do that again! lol

you will notice I gave a lot of details in my 1st reply, I believe that is what is lost, most folks really don't drill down enough in the details

so did I try to remove gluten for a while?, after symptoms gone from enemas,yeah, but not that long, maybe a a few months....but that doesn't mean it isn't your main culprit, start with removing red meats and the other easy things and then just kinda watch to see if anything irritates you...I know its hard because who keeps track of what you eat...I just lucked out figuring out the red meat, but even for me it took 2 times getting hit on the head with an anvil to figure it outsmile

I can tell you I only started posting on these sites in the last month because I only had my experience, but couple months ago, a FB friend mentioned her problems, and she & I were real friends from when we were younger

she did what I told her and found out red meat was a bad boy for her as well, the enemas were gonna be like $400 bucks due to her poor insurance, but we found a way around thatsmile they worked immediately for her and like 3 weeks into my treament she went off her lialda....I DID NOT TELL HER TO DO THAT! But I was blown away that she took that chance.

She is not following my stuff to the letter, but she is doing ok so far, I drop msg's to her to try and keep her disciplined...she did the enamas and poff she was way better, she also definitely removed the red meat....she does have the inner-eco bottle and she is eating the coconut yogurts, I doubt she is drinking cocnut water much, she said she don't like the flavor....they do make flavored coconut water, just make sure it is natural and not artificial with refined sugar etc....anything else I really don't know about what else she has removed form diet

I'll tell you I thought i was 5 years into remission till couple months ago I had a memory of something that jogged my timelines back and I realized I was only in my 3rd year....well that actually reinvigorated me, and I stopped eating ground grass fed red meat which I started to eat in my 3rd year of remission, and started back to getting the ground turkey thigh, I also use ground pork....I just want to never again go back...most folks say it will always rear its head, but I prefer to think no, it comes back because folks get lax on what worked

the coconut water hydration and inner-eco, and yogurt, should alleviate any straining you have

good luck, sorry for the long reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.