Uncomfortable burning inside stomach in certain situations

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I'm trying to find out what's wrong with my digestive system. There's some things that cause me to have a mild to moderate

burning sensation in my stomach. I don't know what this sensation is called, either. I don't think it's heartburn since the description

doesn't really match, and I've had heartburn a few times before (it happens higher on the body than my usual burning). It's more annoying than

painful, but it's still an unpleasant sensation. It's often accompanied by frequent flatulence.

Here are some of the things that seem to trigger it:

• most supplements, at least in normal doses (I've tried magnesium and d3 pills and some other stuff, I either get the burning on the same day or

get a delayed reaction - I can take them for 2~3 days but then the burning starts regularly and persists for a few days after I stop taking them).

I've tried magnesium in both pill and powder form and I can't take either even in seemingly small doses. Right now I've managed to take D3 orally

in liquid form (Vigantol Oil (cholecalciferol), 500 UI per drop) and can take about 4 drops per day, with breaks on some days, without burning.

I always take supplements after dinner.

• Onions seem to give me straight out diarrhea even in small quantities, though I don't remember if they also cause burning
  • Some foods but I can't really remember most of them since I've phased them out of my diet
  • Cocoa seems to be one of them that I've discovered recently (even prepared with water), and I think coffee did it too (haven't drank it for years).

Also consuming too much liquids without enough solids seems to cause problems as well, and sometimes it happens from exercise (altough mildly).

In addition to that, I've become lactose intolerant some years ago. Even smaller amounts of milk and some derivatives causes stomach ache and diarrhea. Cheese is still ok though.

If I avoid all the things that trigger it then the burning doesn't happen.

After some reading I think the "burning sensation" might be what they call gastritis? But apparently it's a symptom and not a cause by itself.

For some time I've suspected IBS but a lot of the symptoms don't match: I don't have Pain and cramping (unless you count the burning, but it's more just uncomfortable than painful),

Diarrhea (unless I really upset my stomach), Constipation, Bloating (altough it's easy for me to feel sated without eating much).

Another thing is that from the studies I've read D3 is supposed to help IBS symptoms or at least not cause additional problems, which doesn't happen in my case.

And the IBS symptoms I do have are: gas (during burning), food intolerance, some fatigue and poor sleep quality. I've heard it's also linked to anxiety and depression which I have problems with.

I'd appreciate any help.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Get rid of the supplements. Most do nothing. Try simethicone anti-gas tablets available over the counter. Consult a registered dietician.

• Edited

Have you ever been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia? Believe it or not, I have IBS and Fibro and many of your symptoms.

• Edited

No, never diagnosed with it. I also don't have the "pains and tenderness" that's one of the main symptoms, or others like common headaches or irritable bladder.

• Posted

thanks! i just see so many different people with our symptoms, I always like to ask. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.