uncomfortable chest pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have always had a very bad habit of twitiching/flexing/tightening certain muscles in my body as a way of dealing with anxiety. i just constantly tighten my muscles or move them around, not necessarily becuase it makes me feel better, but just as a reaction to stress. the areas i get obsessed with tigthening change after a couple of weeks, but i always tighten my back right shoulder muscle, and then normally have another muscle that i twitch too. for the past month or so, i have been constantly tightening my chest. like, just flexing my inner core, so that my chest feels very tight. i can't stop tightening it, because, like i said, this is a habit i have had for a very long time and it is very hard for me to shake it. i have recently started having very uncomfortable chest pain. it's not super painful, just very uncomfortable and constant. my chest (like the area around my heart) aches and throbs, and just has the general chest pain feeling. there is only occasional "shooting pain." it often keeps me from sleeping, and i have to rub my chest constantly to try and ease the pain.

is this something that i should see a professional about? i'm beginning to be worried, simply because chest pain is associated with the heart and it scares me. i've read that these general muscle flexing rituals could be signs of OCD--should i see a psychiatrist to talk about this, or just go to a doctor about chest pain? (if it matters, i have struggled with anxiety for years but have never been to a doctor for it.) thanks for any help!

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    This actually sounds like a way my counselor told me to cope. You should start at you feet and contract muscles for 10 seconds then relax them and repeat. Then move up to calfs and thighs all the way up to your head. It's supposed to release something into your body to help you relax so maybe this is your way of doing this without knowing it.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Before you can say this is anxiety, even if it is anxiety a full exam should always be done. Let the doctor diagnose you, they are so familiar with heart issues and anxiety issues. Id say go get a full exam.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi,all that flexing might be affecting a muscle causing irritation. etc. Or maybe you pulled a muscle. I dont know. If you cant stop flexing and the discomfort doesnt go away,id start with seeing a doctor and go from there.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up