Uncomfortable feeling in lower abdomen

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Since last Tuesday I've had an uncomfortable feeling in my lower abdomen, it's like nothing I've had before.

On average it is a dull ache made worse in a seated position, the pain is below my belly button.

I can't pinpoint a trigger but since the weekend I've been having bad indigestion after every meal followed by a more stabbing pain.

I've been to see the doc and I'm having bloods done on Friday.

Has anyone had anything similar / might know what it is?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Try a food diary which will help you to pinpoint a trigger food.  It could be many things.  Some of these could include gastritis or h pylori.  Have you noticed if stress sets it off?  Have you had change of bowel habit?  Does your pain move about or stay in one place?  Wait to see what your blood tests show and ask your doctor lots of questions.
    • Posted

Hi pippa! I started a new discussion regarding food diary and how it hasn't helped me much. Do you have any suggestions on how else I can know what could possibly trigger symptoms? The rumbling and gurgling are always in the same spot. Left side under the ribs and down as though it goes through the colon. I am beyond frustrated.

• Posted

I would ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician to advise you on food diaries or The Low Fodmap diet.  Sometimes working out food triggers is hard on your own and some support is needed.  There may be something you are missing that a dietician could identify.

You will be able to tell what triggers your symptoms if for example you ate pizza and shortly afterwards you had a flare up or if you were very anxious about something and it caused your symptoms within a short space of time.  I was able to identify that last year’s three day diarrhoea attack was caused by weeks of being bossed about by family members and a neiighbour of mine  I was able to see the pattern of  my stress and my bowel’s reaction to it.  Maybe try a symptom diary as well to track when and what triggers your IBS.  

In the end, there is nothing special you can do to identify it.  It is all down to experience.  At first I I had no idea what was causing my symptoms and neither did my doctors.  So I just panicked myself sicker until my final doctor asked me if I had any recent stress before my symptoms started.  I had been telling him about my health anxiety, panic and despair in rhe hope it would lead to answers. It was then that I remembered I had had six months of non stop stress before the onset of symptoms. My doctor then identified it as IBS. I hadn’t even considered it before because I was convinced I had something incurable.

It may also be useful to try not to concentrate on what is causing your IBS to flare up.  Thinking about it and not finding answers will lead to more stress and anxiety which will in turn cause it to flare up. Try distracting yourself with hobbies and light exercise instead.  A calm mind will help to reduce flare ups.  When I am calm, I have no stomach or bowel problems.  I found when my IBS was at its height and I was with friends and enjoying myself, I had no pain.  Once I went home and started thinking about my stomach again the pain came back.

The two major triggers that can fkare up IBS are stress and food   You will either have one of these or both,  For me, food is fine but stress flares it up.  

Try to relax!  Managing your IBS takes time and the timescale is different for everyone because everyone’s IBS is different.

• Posted

Thanks again pippa. I always look forward to reading your reply . It offers me so much relief and assurance that this can be controlled.

I will definetely see a dietician as you have suggested and will take it from there.

I worry too much about my symptoms and that could maybe be the cause.

• Posted

Anxiety is the worst part of IBS.  If you can control the anxiety, that’ goes a long way to manaaging your symptoms.
    • Posted

I might need to see my gp for a prescription. It's really ruining my life.

• Posted

If you are in the UK, you can get Buscopan over the counter without prescription.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.