Uncomfortable/Painful Staples

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had my fiberglass cast on for a week now, staples weren't removed before application...and now it's insanely uncomfortable, and sometimes painful. Is there anything I can do about this, or should I call the doctor and see if I could get them removed? The original plan was to have them removed before the cast anyway, but my doctor didn't even look at them. Has anyone else had to deal with staples in a cast?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I had stitches rather than staples, and they were removed before the fiberglass cast was put on last week. I think you should call the doctor and check on this because there might have been an oversight or misunderstanding during your appointment. You don't have anything to lose by calling, except for hopefully a lot of discomfort.

• Posted

I thought I was going to have stitches, and much to my surprise, it was staples! Not sure why my doctor changed his mind, but whatever. I'll call and leave the nurses a message. Hopefully I can get these staples out...it also makes me feel like it'll make for a really bad scar with all the rubbing!

• Posted

I can't imagine the discomfort! My foot doesn't swell often, but it has swollen enough a time or two for the incision to rub on the cast and that drives me crazy. I end up taking pain meds that I don't normally need when this happens. My doctor changes my cast after two weeks so I'll get a new one next week. I hope it will be a boot two weeks after that, but we'll see.

• Posted

Yeah, the rubbing is driving me absolutely nuts! And I've taken pain meds just to get rid of that pain. You're lucky you get your cast changed so often!! But at least, as long as my doctor keeps his word, I'll be getting a boot in 3 weeks. I can't wait to walk again!!

• Posted

I asked my doctor why he changes the cast and his response was, "People complain of the smell and the itch if I don't." That was good enough for me.

• Posted

I can see that, although I have neither, except at the incision site -- that sometimes itches. I actually don't know if I'll be able to go to the doctor this week because my insurance changes tomorrow and I don't have my new cards yet...I'd be totally cool with this cast if I didn't have the pain from the staples.

• Posted

I had 6 staples under a fibre glass cast for 2 weeks almost and they were very uncomfortable. When you attend your checkup explain and ask for a new cast or if they're ready, get them removed. Mine came out a few days early and everything was fine. Good luck.

• Posted

My cast isn't scheduled to come off for another 3 weeks...and if the staples aren't out by then, that would be insane! (5 weeks post-op)

• Posted

Looking at the picture I took of my ankle after getting the surgical cast off and before getting the fiberglass one, I've got at least 10 staples in there, thinking more like 12 though...it's a much bigger incision than I imagined it would be!! 

• Posted

If I were you I'd ring up fracture clinic and ask for an appointment to have them removed. I had about 3 different casts on for various reasons, my staples came out after 2 weeks and it felt much better when they did.

• Posted

I called my doctor's office and I have an appointment tomorrow. 

• Posted

Yes, hopefully! I think the cast may be too loose anyway which might be why there's so much rubbing...so it may be best for my healing to get a new one anyway.

• Posted

I got my staples out! There were a lot! Like 20+

I also got a new cast which is a lot more comfortable since it's not as loose, and I think it was just done better too.

• Posted

Definitely! I can still feel the pull of the incision, but that's absolutely nothing compared to the pain of the staples! It's more annoying than painful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.