Uncontrollable itching on the leg around the incision.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Day 17 post-op and my operated knee feels like it is under siege from fire ants! I ice to keep myself from scratching my skin off!! And now here I am up all night scratching both knees!!! What is going on?!?!?!?! Has anyone experienced anything like this? I’m taking Celebrex and gabapenten....perhaps it could be a reaction to that? I didn’t have any of this last year with my other knee. What is life if not for surprises!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was told to use a good moisturizer

with no perfume in it, I have done this from 2 weeks it stopped it itching quite quickly. I use Aveeno, but there plenty of other creams on the market.

• Posted

Thanks!! I use coconut oil for everything, but I think I’ll try Aveno. Thanks so much for the suggestion!
  • Posted

tammy

Mine felt like electric shocks and a dead tingling sensation that was not at all My PT said to message it daily at least 3 times a day with lotion (I choose vitamin E oil but used lotion when it bothered me out of the house) She  said that the more I touch it the faster those sensations would go away. They have for the most part. I think its the nerves growing back. I'm 5 months and 2 months out and things are much better

• Posted

tammy

Mine felt like electric shocks and a dead tingling sensation that was not at all pleasant. My PT said to message it daily at least 3 times a day with lotion (I choose vitamin E oil but used lotion when it bothered me out of the house) She  said that the more I touch it the faster those sensations would go away. They have for the most part. I think its the nerves growing back. I'm 5 months and 2 months out and things are much better

• Posted

Nerves showing you whose in charge. Rest and add lots if water to your intake. Elevate and rest some more. You'll be back on your your feet in a day or 2. If your stomach and bladder accepts, use some anti inflammatories like Aleve for a few days. This is part of the 2 steps forward, 1 back process most of us go through and as Chico talks about, the mental anguish of plateaus.

• Posted

Never had any itching problems doing a bilateral but hydrocortisone cream SHOULD work

good luck

• Posted

I got that sensation sometimes, but massaged the whole leg every day which I think helped. Still get zingy sensations occasionally now at seven months...it is the nerves I think!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.