Under active Thyroid and NO Period

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am 22 years old and diagnoised with an underactive thyroid 6 weeks ago and put on 50mg of levothyroxine straight away. I have not had a period since January and the doctors said that the underactive thyroid would be the reason why. I know everyone is different but when should I expect to see my period return, it makes me so nervous not having one as I would like to have a family one day. 

I have always had regular periods until 5 months ago so this is all new to me!

Any help would be greatly appriciated as I feel very lost and confused while learning the ins and outs of hypothyroidism. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Heyy, I've had hypothyroidism since I was born. And up until recently wasn't taken my medication. I also hadn't had a period since January up until the end of may but I thought it was maybe cause I'd come off the pill. But I think it was my thyroxine. Me being me I upped my own dosage and got my period back within a couple weeks. If you keep going with your meds then all should be fine soon. Good luck :-) x
    • Posted

Hey! That's really interesting, I had more blood tests last week to see how my levels are doing and am going back to the doctors on friday to see if I need to be on a higher dosage. I will continue on meds and hopefully get it back soon! Thank you for repling x
    • Posted

Yeah I know. It really scared me like. I had tests last week too and I know the results are going to be dreadful and still low but hey ho gotta keep on it :-). Hope all goes fine with your results :-). No problem x
    • Posted

Will do, you too smile. I put mine up to 200mg atm just cause I hadn't been taking them for so long so get the levels up and to me not feeling really sleepy and that all the time x
  • Posted

Hi Stephanie, dont panic, your body will take time to adjust to the new regime. My daighter has Hashimoto's disease, related to an underactive thyroid. She had a baby last year so don't worry. It can make things a little difficult but not impossible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.