Under active thyroid and no sex drive

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

ive been diagnosed with an under active thyroid for over a year now, im on levothyroxine 100mg. I dont know if this is to do with my thyroid but i have no sex drive what so ever, i have done in the past but it is very rare. i have researched it and it said it can affect your sex drive. i wanted to know if this is true and happening to anyone else.

I have no sex drive, my doctor started me on 25 mg then 50 mg then upwards and nothing is working, i dont feel any different and he said my levels are fine! does anyone have the same issue and any tips on how to over come this ! PLEASE!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You should not expect your sex drive to be determined by thyroid supplements ,your doctor is right to bring your thyroid levels to normal but your sex drive is a different problem ,it depends from your age and other factors like weight , fitness level ,cardiovascular health , medicines , steroids use etc...

• Posted

You should not expect your sex drive to be determined by thyroid supplements ,your doctor is right to bring your thyroid levels to normal but your sex drive is a different problem ,it depends from your age and other factors like weight , fitness level ,cardiovascular health , medicines , steroids use etc...

• Posted

Hi Leah, you're correct, the meds don't work. They suppress your body's own thyroxin production, and worse, the meds don't have the biological activity that the natural stuff has. You get all the side effects, without any longterm relief. I say longterm because the meds can provide temporary relief.

Lack of sex drive could be an indication of low sex hormone levels (progesterone, estrogen, testosterone), which typically happen with adrenal exhaustion. adrenal exhaustion can be caused by thyroid disease, or can cause thyroid disease. You'd be wise to look into adrenal disease (exhaustion, addison's or other). If you have adrenal problems, its important to treat them.

I got fed up with meds and got some relief from essential amino acids. They seem to drive the body's thyroxin production.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi Leah, do you have the latest blood test results from your GP? If you can get these results and the ranges then we can look at them and make sure you are optimally treated . Sometimes a lack of certain vitamins and minerals can occur when you are hypothyroid, I have a full thyroid and vitamin blood test done privately twice a year to see exactly where I'm up too. Unfortunately the NHS only tests TSH and T4 but we actually need T3 as well to get a full picture.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.