Under active thyroid and weight loss

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,i was diagnosed about 8 weeks ago and take 50mg levothyroxine.I do feel much better in myself.The only issue are the constant constipation (sorry 😕wink and the the weight i gained when i was undiagnosed.Stuck religiously to a slimming world diet and not even a shed a pound.

As anyone else had any joy shiftin those pounds? X

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

But...lemme get this right. You didn't have constipation before, but it's worse on the levo? 

I've had constipation, but that's usually a hypothyroid symptom. And yes, it will cause you to gain weight and keep you from losing. 

I gained 40 pounds while on the levo, so from my perspective, not only did it not treat the hypothyroid symptoms, it made them way worse. I also should say that my weight prior to that was a stable 130 pounds  for ten years and I'd gained 5 pounds in the two years prior to the levo while struggling with thyroid disease, but ballooned with the levo.

I'd certainly like to know if anyone has lost weight on this medication.

• Posted

I'm losing weight pretty fast on levo.  I am 5'7 and originally weighed 138 pounds before starting levo, and now.. I am 115 pounds.  My thyroid doctor is a little concerned, which makes me believe that not many people actually lose weight on levo.  He did a bunch of blood test to make sure nothing else is going on, my next test are the Western Blot and to look for antibodies for Lyme.  So.. yes, I cannot say for certain yet, if it's from the levo or somethiong else, but so far, everything else looks good.  I do have positive ANA though, am nauseous all the time, but good appetite and I have been getting a rash all over my body that is mostly on my neck, face and chest.   I have heard before though, that Levo does not actually make you lose weight, but it will bring you down to the weight that you were before thyroid problems.  So if you used to weight 150 and ended up getting to 200, then the levo will help bring you down to 150 again.  But it will not make you to continue lose weight beyond your average weight.  Does that make sense?  But.. then again, everyone is different and that doesn't mean that levo will work for everyone.

• Posted

Sorry this is for Stacy too.. I replied in the wrong spot.. Well, I guess it's for everyone.

• Posted

I have a underactive thyroid and was put on levo 8 months ago 75 mg i was 11 stone 8 lbs when undiagnosed and now been on these im down to 10stone 2lbs ive not long got my appitite fully back i was anxious all the time as well and takeing citrilpram for this x
    • Posted

Tammy, do you mean Citalopram? This drug is known to have weightloss as a side effect. I did a search and couldn't find citrilpram anywhere. 

I found this information on Citalopram: "The active pharmaceutical ingredient in Celexa is citalopram hydrobromide, a substance that inhibits the reuptake of serotonin, a chemical messenger in the brain. Celexa is available in 10mg, 20mg and 40mg tablets. Celexa has several side effects, including weight loss."

Sorry to say, but Bromine in any form is very toxic and interferes with thyroid function because it replaces iodine in molecular reactions, causing thyroid dysfunction, hypothyroidism, goiter and other thyroid disease. Not to mention the general toxic nature of brominated compounds, which are longlasting and really, really nasty.

It kind of floored that something like this would be given to anyone, much less a thyroid patient. If you were taking Citalopram prior to your hypothyroid diagnosis, your hypothyroid disease could be a side effect of this drug. 

Seratonin in is produced predominantly in the gut, so all drugs to increase seraronin problems are really treating symptoms of low functioning gut. You might look into gluten free and paleo diets as affordable long term way of solving some of these health issues. They will help your thyroid as well.

• Posted

I also take citalopram for ongoing depression..and no i suffered constipation before goin on levo aswell.Maybe i just arent on the right dose yet...

No fun when your body is workin against itself 😥 X

• Posted

Hi Stacey

for the constipation try taking magnesium supplement at night, i found it difficult to loose weight but have gone on to the LOW CARB diet and have lost over a stone in around 6 weeks. There are a lot of You Tubes and info about this diet on the internet, and you are never hungry on it.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi YorkRose, love the magnesium as a laxative. If you compare symptoms of magnesium deficiency with hypothyroid symptoms, they are amazingly similar. We often forget the power of simple things.
    • Posted

Yes, i believe we are lacking in so many things that have the same symtoms as hypothyroid, i was feeling very tired mid winter and wondering if i needed a higher dose of levo, however i started taking ferroglobin supplement and felt 10000 times better even though my blood results had not flagged up iron deficiencey! 
    • Posted

I've gotten some relief from boron. You can buy the capsules, but I prefer to make my own liquid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.