Under active thyroid & fluroide toothpaste

Posted , 4 users are following.

l have suffered with a under active thyroid for many years. Recently I was put Duraphat 2500 a fluroide toothpaste to help with a dental problem. After using it for a couple of months it feels as though I have a lump in my throat with difficulty swallowing. Could this be a reaction to the thyroid medication. Love to hear from anyone who might have experience the same thing.

Jennyann

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennyann. It might me acid reflux from your stomach, maybe a reaction to the toothpaste. It is quite common to have stomach problems when you have dental problems. Try Gaviscon when you get the lump feeling. Also raise your upper body while sleeping by stacking pillows.

• Posted

sometimes if your thyroid has nodules or gets a little swollen it is common to feel like theres a lump when you swallow and have difficulty swallowing i would definitely mention it to your doctor and check to see when your last sonogram was done. Asfar as your dental problem, the toothpaste that was prescribed is a high fluoridated toothpaste. I am a dental hygienist , you should know why you need that toothpaste, is it from dry mouth? acid reflux? your diet? medication or supplements? Maybe an underlying medical issue is causing it? Trying to understand your whole health picture may give you answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.